Sprint GT Rocket Cover Gasket

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Mpgscott, Aug 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mpgscott

Mpgscott Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Well today since i was in preparation mode for new handle bars next weekend i thought i would give the valve clearances a go. So most tricky part was separating the rocker cover! Got it all off and checked all valves and mine are all in the middle of the toleranes so all good no adjustment needed.

So planning to get a new rocker cover gasket set as this one is not looking great, no breaks but it would appear at the lobes there has been gasket sealant is this normal for these engines??

What’s the best way of refitting is it to seat the gasket onto the engine and put the 3 dowels into the engine block then try and and seat the rocker cover down onto the gasket? Just that with the gasket fitted to the rocker cover its a royal bugger to get it down past the wiring loom without fowling the lobe seals and knocking them off alignment its a bit of a pig.

So from the pic below should i be replacing the rocker cover gasket and does it require gasket seal? Or do i just use gasket seal and use this one? Bikes a 2012 and has done 22500 miles.

[​IMG]

As usual thanks for the thoughts.

2. Sigold83

Sigold83 New Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Cornwall, UK
    Hi, I had the rocker cover off to do the cam chain. Yes, you do need sealent on the lobes, and I recommend putting the sealent in the lobe, attaching the gasket to the cover and presenting that way. Before you secure the cover in place, yes it is a bugger to get in, use a torch all the way round and inside the plug channels to make sure all are sat right. It pays to do it right the first time. I have an alarm fitted, so when i took off mine, i removed the alarm out of there from the frame. Didnt disconnect though! If you have an endocope camera, drop it down in around the tensioner, make sure it isnt too loose. Also, check the threads of the plug inserts. Like jack..... never taken taken mine back to a dealer, the chipped a piece of metal off my rocker cover, and i didnt find that until two years later.....

E14DD94A-D89E-4469-9C46-4F8F064B71CB.jpeg

92097104-D7AC-448C-B0F8-02E95F35280D.jpeg

3. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Thanks for the pointers, so you put the sealant onto the lobes on the engine then have some on the gasket at the lobes also.

What about the 3 dowls? Did you have these seated in the engine or in the cover?? I’m thinking in the engine as I’m worried about then dropping out of the cover.

Any recommendations on best place to get the gasket including the three spark plug hole gaskets? Will also change the plugs and air filter when I’m at it.

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Sigold83

Sigold83 New Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Cornwall, UK
    To be honest, i had the dowels in the cover, as the gasket has a ring that the dowel goes through and should keep it in place. If you’re worried about it dropping out, a bit of grease in the hole first to create a little suction should do the trick. The sealent was just on the block, as you say, trying to get it in over the top without fowling everything is difficult. Getting it back in is difficult enough. If it is any help, i tended to dip the left front side in first, keeping the front lower than the back, pushing it right up against the loom and frame, then dropping the right side in, then the whole back edge. Easier to manage over the cams.

6. Mpgscott

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Any recommendations on gasket sealant to use for fitting my new cam cover gasket?