Rocket 3 Top Box & Mount

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Malcolm Bradley, Mar 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm Bradley

Malcolm Bradley New Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Chatham
    Hi y'all. Shaggy dog story I'm afraid...

I've faffed & fangled and been worrying myself silly about which bike to replace my Pan European....I wanted something lighter as that was with 2 up pretty top heavy. I'd thought about a Tiger 800 - rode one and really liked it but I had this itch I just couldn't scratch and worry that again 2 up it was going to be a bit top heavy so.....I thought Bonneville T120. Lots of grunt but I'd have to pay a lot of money for a second hand one.

I'd thought of Moto Guzzi as their V90 Bobber but 50HP from a 900cc engine....??? My old 2 stroke Suzuki 500 had almost that puff.

I seem to have found the answer in a Rocket Roadster. I sneaked out and bought one - over my budget, weighs a ton but I'm hoping due to the low CoG the current Mrs Malky won't complain too much. Besides I figured if it weighs as much as it does the nymph like 10 stones of my missus won't affect the balance anyway.... :)

So....back to the question I wanted to post.... The bike has a rack & sissy bar fitted. I need to get a top box on the back (I know.....spoiling those lines). Any suggestions? I need it to take 2 full face helmets.

I've seen a Givi on the Sportsbike Shop site - is the mounting plate likely to fit or is there something else I can go with...??

BTW - above itch is now better after application of cream.

• Like Like x 2
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Dunno about your rack/backrest but the one I’ve got hanging in my garage (09 Speedmaster) can be taken apart and the back rest removed leaving the rack for mounting the top box :)
    Then by positioning the top box this then becomes the back rest for your Mrs :p

• Like Like x 2
  4. Malcolm Bradley

Oct 21, 2018
    Chatham
    Aha! Many thanks for your help. Being all keen & enthusiastic I was wanting to get ahead of the game - I collect the bike next Saturday Mrs Malky will be happy she's got a backrest as I've heard the Rockets go like.........well I guess a rocket :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I’m very happy with my bike Malcolm but like you I have a itch to own a Rocket at some point :confused:
    Wether I get to scratch it or not remains to be seen :confused:
    Won’t be this year but maybe next :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

My Rocket trike has a Givi top box and backrest fitted, I would think its the same bracket that fits the bike.

2641-1530422466-10305ec6bc1eac3241e5c2e3a709e46f.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. Malcolm Bradley

Oct 21, 2018
    Chatham
    WOW - some trike there! No worries about falling off that eh.

Do you know the model number of the rack - did the Givi fit straight on with the standard mounting kit?

8. Malcolm Bradley

Oct 21, 2018
    Chatham
    Just finished putting my Thunderace back together so I’ve got some room for my new toy. At least the Rocket doesn’t have a mountain of plastic to take off any time I want to fettle.

Taking my bed and sofa outside so I don’t have to be far away :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Malcolm Bradley

Oct 21, 2018
    Chatham
    Just picked the bike up and low & behold....the sissy bar is bolted on just like you said.

They look like 4 easy bolts to remove and pop the box on the back. Mnay thanks for your help!

• Like Like x 1