Roads You Just Love

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Havit, Feb 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #1 Havit, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    If you have a road you love , Share it here

[​IMG]

[​IMG] I love this ride through Ballaghbeama Gap in Kerry ( just off the ring)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #2 Havit, Feb 13, 2018
    The road to Glendalough. Wessa will remember this one although it was a bit wetter:D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

That one out of Scotland :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Stelvio Pass. The road from Northampton, to Market Harboro, then Grantham.

• Like Like x 2
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    The one we did on the GMU2017, on the Saturday. Fantastic narrow twisty road through a wide flat valley although there were lots of little humps where you took off. There were a load of cyclists going the opposite way to us. I had great fun just missing the lycra cyclists coming the other way. Anyone know which road I mean ?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Trouble is the Police like it too!

7. MonkeyHanger

MonkeyHanger Active Member

Sep 3, 2017
    Barnstaple, Devon
    Yup me too, I live in Uckfield so it's on my doorstep.

8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Yep ... they found me! :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Wasn't going to Loomies, TBH normally avoid this road as I like a 'spirited' ride, was running late on my way back from the other side of Petersfield, when I came up on a Skoda RS driving like Miss Daisy between there and Loomies crossroads. Now the Police use a lot of these in Hampshire but back then not so, I overtook, he sped up, I thought road rage nutter and did one into the blue yonder, he stopped me right on the traffic lights at Loomies, so visit to court and a big fine and points followed :mad::sob::scream:
    So these days if I go near Loomies, I drive like Miss Daisy, so if you come up on a graphite grey Street RS riding like your Nan, that's why! :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

A708 Selkirk to Moffat, often called St Mary's, due to the loch half way along. We stopped at the wee wooden hut cafe for food.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Me too now, and funny enough I don't advertise to the world my fave roads anymore as once they get full of other bikes the Police follow!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

A702 / A712 from Elvanfoot to Newton Stewart.
    You want to come ride it, 60 miles of empty beautiful twisty roads.

GOOGLE MAP LINK

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Un named road from the A166 near Stamford Bridge through Buttercrambe to Malton, just watch those blind crests :confused::cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jerry Winder

Jerry Winder Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2017
    Brecon Beacons
    Living in the Brecon Beacons we're kind of spoilt for fantastic roads, in fact it's more difficult to find bad ones! Plenty of bikers come from miles away to experience them. Everybody wants to ride the A483 from Newtown to Crossgates, the mountain road from Rhayader to Devils Bridge, (and usually onward on the A4120 out to Aberystwyth) and the Black Mountain road, (masdse famous by the Top Gear guys), and they're all brilliant roads not to be missed but..........

I wouldn't expect too many folks to know the B4343 from Llandovery past the Llyn Brianne reservoir and out to Tregaron. The B4343 is a national with very little traffic, absolutely loaded with stunning scenery, big elevation changes and is a really technical road. When I took a buddy down it his comment pretty much nailed it when he said, "It's like riding in Norway". From Tregaron pick any road you like, (they're all superb), to take you out to the coast, (personally I'd head to Aberaeron), for a coffee. To get back to Llandovery from Aberaeron quickly, jump on the A482 via Lampeter. It used to be a national almost all the way but they've since reduced it to 50mph. There's no cameras on it though and it's fast and sweeping, all in all another brilliant biking road that'll take you back to the A40 a couple of miles west of Llandovery where you can head back to the West End bikers cafe from another coffee. If you're not satisfied after that you can I suggest a run over the Black mountain just a few miles away on the legendary A4069, sadly also now reduced from a national to a 40mph but still a technical challenge and again, no cameras.

These roads are the reason we moved to Wales from Surrey. We've been here 5 years and I'm still finding new ones!

Llyn Brianne.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    you could take this route from petersfield, Bell Hill, you want to make sure there's nothing in front of you when you get past the pub, sit there if there is until its clear, then watch out once you come out from the forest. It just avoids the slow bit of the A272
    bell hill.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

:sob:That would bring a tear to a glass eye !!!

6 miles long !!! No wonder you guys nearly wet yourself when you cross the border to Scotland. I genuinely feel sorry for you guys living in the south of Englandshire :oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

upload_2018-2-13_17-56-40.png

This is the best road in Scotland. Find it on a quiet Tuesday afternoon, when its dry and there's no coaches, it is feckin unreal !!!! You will want to stop at the castle for pictures, turn around and ride back to Invergarry.

The only shame is, it's the main road to Skye, and lots of traffic, especially in the summer. Go up May time, less midges and less traffic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

And my 3rd entry (in no particular order) is -

upload_2018-2-13_18-2-7.png

I could do this all day. I once did this in a thunderstorm in the gixxer, set of Pirelli Angel GT's, and I was feckin exhausted by the time I got to Ullapool, did it in about 45 minutes !!!! I nearly had my knee down going over Kylsku Bridge !!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    We have similar tastes in tarmac. The A702 from Moffat to Broughton is a cracker too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #20 crispey, Feb 13, 2018
    That’s just a divert to avoid the police and slow bits but yes you’re right, down south we are limited for long good a roads and when you find them they’re usually busy, but there are some about.

• Like Like x 1