Featured Rideout Roads Less Travelled..just Do It!

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Dougie D, Jun 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    There are lots of roads that for one reason or another I tend never to go on, one of them is the road through Glen Lyon,it sits between Loch Tay and Loch Rannoch,there was an article in one of the local papers about the tea room at Glen Lyon, so as it was a glorious day I decided to give it a visit..I'm glad I did as it was a lovely run and as the sun was shining the scenery looked great,and the soup and sandwich was really good:)..note to self have to visit more of the small glens!
    P1000564.JPG
    P1000557.JPG
    P1000565.JPG

• Like Like x 17
  2. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Agreed. I won a bet with my mother earlier this year that I could ride from High Wycombe to Norwich without using a single bit of dual carriageway. Took me ages to plan it all in Tyre but the twee villages and quiet b-roads I used were fantastic. I'm off to visit father-in-law in Shrewsbury at the weekend and hopefully I can do the same by going via Wales. Looking forward to it.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Doug!

When it comes to Glen Lyon, Arisaig & Morar etc., the fewer that know, the better. :rolleyes:

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    As long as they don't bring cars! ;)

5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Too late...I’m on my way :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That’s what I use the home thingy on my sat nav as I’m always getting myself lost down them little lanes

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Glen Lyon is not so much a ‘little lane’ as a Hole in the Wall. The main route in and out is a narrow, twisty path round a rock buttress above a ravine which admits you to a kind of toytown Glen. Just short of the real dead end is a minor, winding road over the hill South to Loch Tay via the hydro electric scheme Dougie pictured.
    I tend to think of it as Scotland’s Shangri La. It has something to offer in all weathers - including no way in or out!

8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    me and the mrs had a day off today so guess where she wanted to go? took a few more photos, it doesn't look warm but it was hot today even although the sky wasn't blue:confused:
    IMG_4986.JPG
    IMG_4989.JPG
    IMG_4992.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Acch! You bastid!! Makes me want to go out again, it’s amazing how just 5 days riding around the traffic free north ( not north north @Sprinter ) makes you forget how to handle it all down here in the south. In fact I’d go as far to say any of you northerners that come down south must be bricking it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    must admit I get no pleasure riding on motorways or in citys..I very rarely have to do it..although I'm going down to Hawick tomorrow so will have to go on some motorway..:( that's why I don't go South of Edinburgh or Glasgow much

11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Thought you wanted to keep it quiet..you certainly have a way with words..ever thought of working for the Scottish tourist board!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Plenty of great riding country SE & SW of Edinburgh while the tourists belt up the M74. The A7 to Hawick not so much! Nice road but too much company.....

13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    The roads around my bit are rubbish don't come up here.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I am resolutely retired! I haven’t got time for work. Ran down to Moffat yesterday then reversed the GMU run back up to St Mary’s Loch and the Yarrow Valley to Selkirk then home via the Tweed Valley and Peebles. A two hour tootle in the sun but my 2005 T100 seat was killing me after an hour. Got a block of dense foam/memory foam on order to see if I can craft a new cushion that does not deprive me of pleasant sensation!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    yeah won't be taking the A7 all the way to Hawick, going to take the A701 to Moffat then A708 to Selkirk..once I've been to Hawick I'm thinking while I'm down that way to do the A6088/B6357 before heading home either A68 or A7..just a shame I have to go on the Edinburgh bypass & the M90

16. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Acch! You bastid!! Makes me want to go out again, it’s amazing how just 5 days riding around the traffic free north ( not north north @Sprinter ) makes you forget how to handle it all down here in the south. In fact I’d go as far to say any of you northerners that come down south must be bricking it.
    itll Be home from home then, I’ll let all the southern softies know

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Honest your roads are so busy, If I lived there I dont think I would own a bike and I could nt afford a shed to keep it in, anyway.