Risk Compensation

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Biker Jock, Apr 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    An interesting article on why ABS (and other safety devices) doesn't seem to be reducing motorcycle fatalities. One explanation, it mentions, could be 'risk compensation', whereby the rider (driver, mountaineer, etc) feels safer because of safety aids and therefore takes more risk.

I've never triggered the ABS on my bikes, maybe because I'm a wuss, or (I like to think) because I'm progressive but smooth, have good observation and lots of experience. But I do like the buzz of riding a bike - it's why I do it - and that buzz comes from making progress and feeling I'm controlling a risk. Once that risk is removed, I'll need to get the buzz back and that will be from going faster or finding something else that feeds a need for controlling risk.

If there is no risk to control and no buzz, what's the point?

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/bikes/why-isnt-abs-saving-our-lives

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    It's abs.......not hiv. :joy: that's definitely what ya don't bloody want!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Volvo syndrome!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Could it be because most bikes on the road don't have it?

It only became compulsory in for 2016 on models, that leaves a lot of bikes without?

5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Especially when you have 1 piece leathers on! :joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    What's the issue? I've never noticed its presence, so don't have a strong view either way. I suppose I'll be grateful if it saves me from a lock-up and tumble in the wet, but can't get that excited otherwise. Interested to understand an alternative viewpoint.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    As for abs on earlier beemers, they generally are less desirable and non abs are more in demand.
    On another level, new learner 125s are now ‘linked brakes or abs’ which is interesting to watch as new novice riders doing CBTs bin bikes on slow walking pace manoeuvres by normally filtering the rear brakes and the front automatically comes on strong and jolts the bloody thing like a pogo stick! Now where’s the safe improvements there?

• Like Like x 1
  8. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    I never wanted abs and never use it but this week I can round a tight bend to find a stationary can . Braked hard leant over and felt the abs doing it's thing. I MAY have been fine but was reassuring the Abs had my back ...

• Like Like x 2
  9. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    I never wanted abs and never use it but this week I came round a tight bend to find a stationary can in the middle. Braked hard leant over and felt the abs doing it's thing. I MAY have been fine but was reassuring the Abs had my back ...

10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    ABS is the only 'rider aid' that I would ever want, and even then I'm not too bothered one way or the other. I certainly don't need/want riding modes etc. Nor do I want to pay for 'em. If I put my mind to it I could feel insulted!:mad:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Cheers half ton. Yes, I'm with you on that. The ABS doesn't bother me because I don't know it's there, but I do like to feel it's my skill that keeps me right-way-up, not rider modes/aids/etc. Those buttock-clenching moments, when you smell diesel or see that telltale ribbon of rainbow in the wet aren't fun, but there is satisfaction when you keep it together rather than rely on electronics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    How many of us get on our bikes and think I have lots of rider aids so I'm going to ride like a nutter? For me I'm not consciously thinking about ABS or anything else on the bike, I just get on and ride. This is no different to before when I rode with none of the modern day aids. And just as before I can still have some mad moments when I do stupid things........

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I really don't mind having aids. Rosie rs is riddled with aids.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Had moment on the Triton (seat of your pants stuff inc shit brakes), came round a corner on a fast road 100 mph corner on a sports bike (if it was on a track;))
    to see a broken down car NOT (foreigner waiting to make a claim!!!) had to do a 60mph swerve round him with a car coming the other way :mad: if I was on a modern bike would have tried to stop a hit him and been dead

15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I’m in the similar camp I never think whilst riding a bike OK I’ve ABS or Traction Control so I’ll push the envelope. I ride as I’ve done for the last 53 years.

I bet there’s a lot in the cemetery who’s life’s were cut short whilst riding that may have been saved with one of the rider aids.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I agree Andy they are a good thing, my point was that I don't think about them when I get on the bike:):), so I don't think they influence my riding.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Of that I'm sure......

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Traction Control and ABS are good things. Fantastic driver/rider aids miracles of modern engineering.
    I dont want them.
    The reason I bought a 15 plate was to avoid all that.
    I have ABS, and if it didnt seem counter intuitive I would remove it.
    I want wheels, engine, frame, brakes.
    The only reason I have fuel injection, is its just too handy not to.

I think we do ride for risk ,and, I think we will compensate if we dont get it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The triumph abs appears far more intrusive my Honda cb1000r was. Rarely did I sense it on the Honda but on one occasion doing about 10 mph with my little lad on I was thankful of it. I came to rest at the head of a cul de sac right where a dried up puddle was. The front tried to lock and we stayed on it.
    Despite the weight and cost penalty I think it's a good thing

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Last week I took the wife to be out in the dry on the 765. Nearly home, on our return on a country lane we approached a side road at about 60 mph. The Golf waiting pulled out: I wouldn't call it dangerous but discurtius. I indicated and pulled over to the right lane to overtake just as she indicated to turn right into her drive, 50 metres away from the junction she'd just pulled out of.

FFS!!!

I applied the brakes quite strongly and due to my off road background the rear abs was most definitely on :neutral: but the front had a little spare although firmly applied o_O.
    I stopped with foot down and the lady driving waved me past :mad:

Did abs make a difference here; you decide?
    Would it have made a difference in the wet?