Right Heated Grip Failure T120

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jimbonaut, Apr 1, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jimbonaut

jimbonaut New Member

Nov 23, 2021
    Prince Edward County
    Hi all,

New member here, with a new-to-me 2016 T120. Traded it last year for a '82 CB750F I'd built over a couple of years, and finally got to go for my first ride the other day. Froze by b@lls off in 0c, 110% worth it.

So said all of me that is, apart from my right hand. No heat to the right grip. Removed the bar end and checked both wires were still connected to the grip (they were), so removed the headlight, and plastic shroud covering the harness behind it, and found that the black wire from the grip had sheared off at the pin in the connector. Unplugged the connecter, and then tried for an hour to remove the pin from inside it to no avail.

Short of taking the thing in to Triumph (who'll probably want to sell me a whole new grip), does anyone have the skinny on how to get that pin out? I've tried jimmying some thin wire into the pin's hole in the connector body to depress the little tang, but no dice.

Here's the bike as it sat last year -

[​IMG]

Many thanks,

-J

• Like Like x 2
  2. jimbonaut

jimbonaut New Member

Nov 23, 2021
    Prince Edward County
    Here's a shot of the old girl out in daylight for the first time this year -

[​IMG]

and here's the failure -

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jimbonaut

jimbonaut New Member

Nov 23, 2021
    Prince Edward County
    Thanks for the suggestion, I had no idea a thing like this even existed. Out of interest, do you have any idea what kind to terminal Triumph uses in this particular connector? I'm familiar with older Hondas and the like but not so much anything newer than mid 80's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    No sorry I haven't, I bought one of these kits some time ago and threw it in the toolbox in case this ever happened to one of my bikes, on the basis that if it ever happens it will be on a holiday weekend when any chance of help is closed!!

• Agree Agree x 1