Sprint GT Right Hand Heated Grip

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Mpgscott, Apr 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mpgscott

Mpgscott Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Has anyone had any issues with their heated grips, the right hand one isnt working on mine so looking to see if its normal for the grip to fail or is it other parts? The wiring all looks ok on it so looking to see if there is a typical failure?

Ta

2. Rob1812

Rob1812 New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Lincolnshire
    Yep. Got exactly the same on mine ('07 ST). I've heard it can be the relay contacts (a simple swap out for a new relay is an inexpensive thing to try if like me you're not technically minded with a volt-meter!!). However I haven't got round to finding the time to take the fairing off to try it.

3. Rob1812

Rob1812 New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Lincolnshire
    Did you get it sorted?

4. Sigold83

Sigold83 New Member

Mar 30, 2018
    Cornwall, UK
    Check the wiring under the switch..... they get corroded easily and break off. I have redone mine with new crimps and it works a treat.

5. Rob1812

Rob1812 New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Lincolnshire
    Thanks. I think the issue is that one grip works but the right hand one doesn’t. I’ll definietly check the contacts and wires from the switch but I’ll also check the double pole relay contacts and connectors too as that’s the point where the powers splits to the individual grip heaters. However, it’s all a bit irrelevant at the moment as I currently have a problem starting Tuesday bike! Just get the famous click from the starter relay under the right hand fairing. And yep - I have a good 12.8 volts at the battery. Hey ho. British quality at its finest! Should’ve kept the fireblade. Never a glitch!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mpgscott

Mpgscott Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Inverness
    Hi Folks, i checked all the connections as suggested and all good, switch in the forward position bike running get like 11.5v then in the down position i get around 13v full charge off the alternator so high setting. Checked the resistance and both are good at 8.5ohms and the voltage is being fed to the right grip so grip must be faulty. Was hoping to see a different resistance though..

Now to try and find one at not silly money..

7. Rob1812

Rob1812 New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Lincolnshire
    Thats where I’ve got to too Triumph will supply a replacement right hand grip for about £45 I think. To avoid having to fully rewire an Oxford system or similar I’m thinking I’ll go down the triumph route when the weather starts to turn in the Autumn. Interesting there are a number of posts about the right hand heated grips not working though......also - an edit from my earlier post in this thread - it’s not a double pole double throw relay. I realised this about an hour after stating such (oops). I believe it’s just a spst to ensure the power only activates with the engine running. Either way though, the relay is always worth checking out but given the characteristics described I’d say there was no chance it was the relay after all (I.e. the left grip was heating correctly throughout signifying the relay must have been working.
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1