Riding Modes.............

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Pegscraper, Aug 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Does anyone actually use the different electronic riding modes? I have a Street Scrambler with 2 road riding modes, "road" and "rain". It also has "offroad" and I can see the point of that to disable TC and ABS. Bearing in mind the SS is quite low powered with 65bhp on tap does it really need 2 on road modes? Reason I ask is that I went out on the bike today after unwittingly leaving it in "rain" mode. I'd been playing around with the display functions and didn't notice, the mode setting display is quite small and I wasn't wearing my glasses (idiot). Offroad mode is obvious with 2 warning lamps on the dash. The bike just didn't feel right from the off, more lethargic off the line and more of a handful required for overtakes etc so the mode certainly does soften the response. I can see the point on bikes with serious power but on the SS, I dunno? I've ridden quite a bit in the wet and not had any issues on "full power", bearing in mind that TC is always on in the "Road" modes. Only had the TC light flicker once when accelerating hard on a very bumpy section of road but I think that is probably down to suspension limitations rather than power induced traction loss. If it wasn't for the fact that "Offroad"mode also disables ABS I'd probably use it on the road.

2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    My Ducati has riding modes and I do use them. Most of the time I spend in 'touring' as it's got the power I need for normal riding and the ride is more compliant. 'Urban' is effectively rain mode. It kills the power and I wouldn't use it unless conditions were exceptionally slippery. Most of that control comes from my right hand and careful use of brakes. Enduro is for offroad (obviously). I'm unlikely to take a bike weighing over 200kg off the tarmac so that one's redundant. I kick it up to 'sport' if things are getting a bit quick and it does firm us the ride, whcih can be a bit wallowy otherwise.

It's possible to create custom modes for TC, engine power etc. I may do that sometime to find a compromise I like, as I did in the car. Do I car that my Street Triple has none of that stuff? Not a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  3. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I use 'rain' mode in the rain. Mostly as a little extra safety margin in case I get on the throttle too early coming out of a corner, or if I hit a bump in a corner. (Bump may cause a little jerk of the throttle and in 'road' mode throttle response seems to be instantaneous not great if it's wet and you're not upright).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    I've used rain once , it helped on the wet leaf covered twisty mountain road , I've tried sport and it's to abrupt for my tastes . If the roads are dry , Road with TCC off is my favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I’ve modes on my scrambler XE and think there biggest load of shite going, I am all for abs but the rest is just a sales gimmick, I’d rather just have one smooth bike not a abrupt bike or a dull bike just one smooth exciting bike ,I hate things being over complicated just for the sake of it,I wish the manufacturers would give you the option of all the modes tech etc or a bike with just a key and normal clocks and no modes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Complete waste of money and a total con! Didn't need 'em on my Daytona 955i CE (147bhp allegedly) and don't need 'em on my Trident 900 (98bhp allegedly).
    If I had to choose between a Bonneville derivative, probably a T120, and a new Royal Enfield Interceptor, then it's a no brainer - Interceptor wins because of its simplicity and cost. Its power is similar to my '69 Bonneville, which is probably enough, although it is heavier, but then again, so am I! And I'm much older than I was when I had my Bonnie so I get my kicks at lower speeds these days!
    Riding modes on a sub 100bhp bike are an insult to the rider. The throttle works both ways according to the late, great Mike Hailwood, and he would know.
    Like the idea of ABS though!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    That's the point I was getting at with only 65bhp and 80nm of torque available on the 900 twin. The "offroad" setting with TC and ABS is necessary with the SS's off road potential but a "rain" mode? My road bike has over 3 times the power and twice the torque and manages with a simple and effective 1 - 2 or 3 setting TC (4 if you count "off"). The dirt bike obviously has no TC or ABS but does have 3 selectable power maps which is useful depending on what tyres your running and the type of terrain.

• Like Like x 2