Riding In The Rain.

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by David Cooper, Feb 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

In the opinion of the most experienced Triumph riders I could wish to ask, what is the best waterproof gear I can take on a five day trip round Scotland in July.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Easy Rukka kit, expensive but the best money can buy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep you definitely need a rain wet over leathers.... mind they only provide limited protection in persistent rain.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    I always get slated but i will never stop recommending army surplus goretex over the top of your bike gear. Its already sized large to go over other layers. Dirt cheap, grade 1 gear virtually new.
    Goretex tops and bottoms £40-£50 all in.
    You can get RAF so its blue and not camo. I have converted 2 people i know to this approach. One who commutes all year round and is never wet.
    I have ridden from the lakes to Bristol and it rained from before setting off all the way, dry as a bone.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Depends what your budget is David,what Stinger is recommending sounds good,I used to wear a middle price "waterproof" jacket but in heavy rain i,d wear one of those cheap packaway jackets for about £10_£20 over the top and that kept me dry..unless it was a monsoon!..but if you can afford it go for something like the Rukka gear that Wessa wears

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    If your going to be riding in non waterproof clothing, denim jeans etc then use a Oxford Rainseal jacket and trousers if it starts to rain.
    They will definitely keep you dry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    As I was reading DD’s post above I thought something’s missing,,,,,,a picture of Dayglow Wayne :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    AHA!
    8028ADA6-8C08-4288-B4D7-A002CAB7CCC1.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Dunlop TT 100 wellies and council wet gear....its all the rage.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Richa Rain Warrior, I really can't fault them. 2 piece that packs down small and is 50 quid all in. I have been in some pretty big downpours and it's always kept me dry :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Lick arse.....:p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I just wear normal leathers (or mesh jacket if it's really hot, shouldn't be a problem in Scotland though....) and have some cheap Triumph waterproofs I put on if it rains.
    Keeps me nice and dry even in torrential rain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Are you after some textile jeans and jacket to wear all the time or an oversuit to put on in the event of rain? I bought one like https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/70084 for my tour to Spain in 2017 but have never worn it. It gets very good reviews. It’s just sat in the garage and is yours (or anybody else’s for that matter) for the price of the postage as I bought some Rukka gear with money my mum left me. If you (or anybody else) is interested I’ll dig it out and get the size but I think it’s 2xl and was a generous fit over my leathers.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I bought a half price 2 piece triumph waterproof jacket and trousers years ago. In monsoon weather I slip it over the top of whatever I'm wearing at the time, be it waterproof gear or not. I don't like my ordinary waterproof kit weighing 3 times as much when it gets wet, then having to walk around in it all day. I only pack the suit, somewhere handy, when I'm touring. If I get wet out on a day ride so be it. I've never got wet when wearing the over suit.

Good luck with whatever option you go with. Btw, I had a one piece rain suit eons ago but always struggled to put it on in the rain at the side of the road. The two piece was a doddle to slip on.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep had one of them one peice suits, always a bugger to get on with your boots on. One day an older rider friend said to me put a plastic bag in when you roll it up. When you come to put your over suit on, pop the plastic bag over your boot and your foot will slip straight through the leg. Works a treat.
    Wessa

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Where do you suggest we get it from? Have seen stuff pertaining to be surplus on the market and at several backstreet shops but it never looks genuine so I've steered clear up to now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I very much agree with the Gore tex! I have a shell Jacket, just a shell, that I bought about 40 years ago for backpacking. This was about $100 dollars back then, and has served me faithfully ever since. I still wear it today and it works very well. It has been thru many different bikes and is /was a great buy! If you go this route, buy big enough to go over Leathers or textile protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    This is Day-Glo Wayne!
    IMG_2740.JPG

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  19. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber