Featured Riders On The Storm

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Beerman, Aug 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Well, that was one of my poorer decisions.

I decided to set off on my Speedmaster for the Welsh coast last night, leaving the Midlands at about 6.30pm. It had been raining heavily all day, and I was about to change my mind about going when the rain stopped. Off I went.

By Shrewsbury, it was looking ominous: dark clouds, wet roads, low light. The cricket would have been called off long ago. By 8pm, it was dark, raining heavily, and the wind was getting up. Through Bala, and I was beginning to feel less than buoyant. Although traffic was light, the roads are very windy through to Porthmadog, and every car coming the other way left me dazzled and covered in spray. I wasn't riding at all fast - when there are no cats eyes, in those conditions you can't see the bends coming, and you can barely see which side of the road you are on. You feel every rut in the road as a destabilising force, because you don't see it coming.

The headlight on the Speedmaster is very bright, but it doesn't show the road ahead very well. I was getting pretty uncomfortable - other than not going out in it, what tips are there for riding in those conditions? I thought of Lawrence of Arabia racing along in the dark, and told myself to get a grip.

Eventually I hit the coast at Criccieth. The sky cleared a bit, the road was lit by the moon, and my spirits lifted. So did the bike, with the strong winds buffeting me all around.

I eventually got to Abersoch...a couple of beers went down very nicely indeed.

Beerman

• Like Like x 23
  2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Wowsa! Don't think i'd have even set out but 10/10 for perseverance!!
    Not nice (except for the beer bit!)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Well done Beerman.:cool: I find my LED Day lights work well to highlight the sides of the road.
    High beam is good, except with oncoming traffic:p

E14E6A7B-9249-4F82-A999-0E27DE52D52D.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    And now comes the cleaning........

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. Beerman

Beerman Guest

You're spot on...I'm on it now!

Beerman

• Like Like x 6
  6. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    What did you do after the beers?
    Please don’t tell me you put a tent up :scream:.
    Ken.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Sounds like it was a difficult ride mate. Nothing worse than riding in the dark and it raining. :mad:
    Did you plan to be riding in the dark and would you do it again ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    You've painted a wonderful picture there with grit and determination, I was there with you for a moment...
    My preparations were 'rainx' on a scratch free clean visor, tyres that gave me confidence in the wet (bridgestone BT 010 -> 023's), plus these days a good headlight bulb that gives a well defined pattern (I like phillips, there is quite a difference between a bright headlight and one with a defined pattern). Then a tip from my Dad when I started riding, close one eye when the car is near to stop both eyes being dazzled, at least that eye can see the road after the car has passed (assuming you opened it after and there wasn't a constant stream of headlights...).
    But at the end of the day it's still a struggle to be endured.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Thanks for that Wattie...very helpful...though as I only have sight in one eye to start with, it could be problematic....!

Beerman

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. Beerman

Beerman Guest

I'd hoped to arrive by dusk...but given the weather, dusk arrived much earlier than I anticipated. Would I do it again? In those conditions? Not if I could help it!

Beerman

• Like Like x 5
  11. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Went for a swim.

Beerman

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    :eek: can I suggest you ignore that advice....

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    You did well @Beerman I used to do that run from Wolverhampton to wales and it certainly is not good in bad weather that was on a T140, but you did well with the storm and traffic glad you got there safe and sound, one reason I gave up to many trips like that is the volume of traffic with inconsiderate drivers on full beam on those roads in bad conditions my bowel movements where becoming unpredictable.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Just be sure to close the one eye with no sight, Beerrman! ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Thank you Sandi T...I see no ships...

Beerman

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Beerman

Beerman Guest

A couple of other pieces of advice if I may:

1. I pulled into a layby on more than one occasion to let cars pass. Traffic was light, but cars are better equipped and they would come pretty close as they became anxious to pass. When I did this, I felt that I was losing confidence, but in reality I think it is a sensible option when visibility and traction are poor.
    2. I wore a high viz vest. This was a late 'throw on', but again was a good move.
    3. I had good kit: Halversson's jacket and trousers, which - despite a steady torrent of rain - remained waterproof..
    4. A sense of humour is a good thing to keep in your back pocket.

Beerman

• Like Like x 5
  17. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Endurance ride. Feel good when done.
    Simply the arrival is encouraging..
    Glad you prevailed and then there was beer. Can relate.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Sounds like you were at the Dragon Rally site! You could swim there.
    Cheers,Ken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    #19 Kenbro, Aug 29, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
    He he Sandi T;
    Did YOU have one eye closed (ie. half asleep) when you typed Beerrman? :p;)
    Cheers,Ken.

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Thanks For that!

What a man. No helmet, no windscreen, no fairings, probably hopeless suspension, brakes and lights...and he rode at speeds we would regard as 'sporty' today.

Beerman

• Like Like x 4