Ride Your Own Ride.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MrOrange, Apr 12, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

This always worries me when out with others you don't know well. I was out last night to a local pub bike night, met some others for a ride in, and new boy on a battered old Thundercat was there. I got caught by the red light with him and then gave it the beans to catch up with the group. Saw he was trying to keep up by cutting corners and running wide, at which point I backed the feck off big time and took it easy. We stopped and he said ' bloody hell that Tuono takes off, was struggling to keep with you to start with' !!!! Thank feck I slowed.

Someone had 5 bits of advice thread going, this would be a big one. Going out with local bike groups, you see this all the time, trying to keep up with a quicker rider in front and making a hash of it. I'll even admit I did it too when I first started out.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Totally agree Mr O to be honest I think we've all been guilty of doing it at sometime, you soon learn each others riding skills are not the same, so long as your all agreed on an end point then get there safe and at your own pace.
    there's always going to be the piss taking from them faster or stupider than you when you arrive but its only banter.

• Agree Agree x 7
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    • Or they just say “sod ‘Im!” And leave you behind!! Eh hem! : unamused:

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    That video is a stark reminder to us all. Even with many years riding experience it is very easy to to forget and get caught up in the ride. Thanks to you Mr O for the reminder......
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    The guys very lucky it was a grassed field and not a brick wall or on coming traffic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Saw that from another rider last night too. The police man driving the van that nearly took him out, just shook his head in disgust.

At that point, I remembered why I stopped going on big ride-outs with that lot.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    After going out once with a bunch of IAM riders who hurtled off at breakneck speed on soaking wet roads, I turned round and went home. Spoke to one a week or so later and when he asked where did I get to I told him straight why. He really could not understand me and I honestly think he thought he was invincible because he had done some advanced training. Others said the same about this lot who thatnkfully buggered off onto Farcebook soon after and were never heard from again.

I prefer to ride alone now, at my own pace. It also means I can go in whatever direction my whims take me if I feel like it. And stop for a pee without having to flag some one down who has shot off a mile or two ahead...

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  8. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    These days I tend to ride at my own pace. Most importantly I admit that I'm not a super hot rider and I don't need to do the sort of riding that puts me out of my comfort zone. Especially when I'm on unknown territory......sod what the next man thinks......I do my best to be cautious. Don't get me wrong. ....I do open that throttle for some spirited riding but then again there is going fast with you in control of the bike and then there is going fast with bike in control of you

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Men suffer from this sizist thing. The thing is, the ladies are less impressed by speed than longevity. It just takes some longer than others to figure it out and, sadly, some just peak too soon and never get back up.

• Funny Funny x 5
  10. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    One of the problems when riding in a group is that if the rider at the front is riding quick then the riders at the tail end have to ride very quick just to keep up.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It is the elastic caterpillar effect. Each additional few seconds taken up getting past an obstacle stretches the overall convoy creating ever greater oscillations of speed and duration along its length to return to ‘normal’ spacing. The leader has to regulate his speed to minimise its effect and he effectively creates it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    (In the UK)
    Wasn't there that law recently where if someone was at the back of the pack and exceeding the speed limit to catch up, then the leader of the pack (or whoever organised it) could also be charged for creating a situation where someone they are responsible for has to speed to stay with the group...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    .......I believe so.

My experience was with long convoys of military trucks......and that was bad enough.

15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Not sure about this, but it is worth considering the impacts that the front runners on a group ride have on tail end charlie. One for discussion at the GMU when we will be riding in large groups.
    Wessa

16. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    I led the first 2016 GMU rideout around the Peak District and kept the speed down on purpose because we had quick riders and slower riders riding a variety of bikes from sports bikes to cruisers.

Although we used the drop of system, unfortunately we lost some riders towards the end of the day :eek:;);):)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I thought you did a great job Dave,the pace you set at the first GMU was spot on:) if you are leading a large group it's common sense to keep the speed down, the last thing you want is someone having an accident trying to keep up

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    One of the reasons we use the drop off system for every ride out we do from our club. Just as on the GMU. That way slower riders can be overtaken (safely) but always knowing there will be someone waiting to show them the way, and TEC behind to ensure they don't get lost.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Ah, I should have read that mate before I posted the one above.

And to be honest we've had that a couple of times in the club rides, but so long as the TEC is there with the route map he can then lead the catch up.

20. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    ...and to stop to re-group every so often.

21. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    It wasn’t the TEC’s fault I think it was the call of an ice cream parlour in Matlock was one excuse ;):)

• Funny Funny x 4