Returning To St …

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Alan Murphy, Oct 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alan Murphy

Alan Murphy New Member

Sep 30, 2021
    Swansea
    Hi guys,
    Looks like I’m heading back to a ST after a couple of years away owning Ducatis.
    Last had a 2014 ABS and loved it so looking forward to coming back -
    My question is I’m considering another ST, this time an R or RS.
    Any problems or are they worth the extra over the previous ABS models??
    TIA
    Al

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Welcome back Al. Glad you have recovered after your ailment:joy:
    Can't comment on the newer Speeds but I love my 2014 ABS more than any other bike I have owned :grinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alan Murphy

Alan Murphy New Member

Sep 30, 2021
    Swansea
    Thanks mate, those Italians know how to make a bike but for all they’ve got, the Triumph 1050 motor is better than anything I tried, and believe me I tried a few!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "Ailment" :joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Dickie

Dickie Active Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Tadcaster, North Yorks
    I had a 2015 1050R & moved onto a 2019 1050RS. The RS engine spins up much faster, the display is lovely, the bike feels a lot smaller more nimble.
    The RS suspension is firm even in comfort settings with all compression damping removed.
    A few people have had gearbox issues on RS's with the quick shifter - I bought a used bike without for that reason.
    I found the handlebar on the RS narrower & not as comfy as the bars on the R.

I recently test road a 1200RS. The clutch was heavy, the steering was heavy, the suspension very firm, & the display not as clear. I didnt notice any significant difference in the engine.

So the 1050RS is a keeper. I've dropped an email to the local Ohlins Service Centre regarding my issues & suggestions for improvement. And I might fit a 2015 1050R handlebar over winter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    I don't know that I would call it heavy, but when I jump from my most nimble bike to the Speed Triple 1200, that's when it's obvious that it takes more effort, but I don't think it's out of line, compared to another bike that drove me nuts with how much I had to push to turn. The benefit is the new Speed is very stable, which I vastly prefer over the wandering 765 that I sold. The ease of viewing the display is a downgrade from the first gen 765 RS, not the screen clarity, but the font size is too tiny, and lack of information viewable at once. If I could change one thing on the new Speed, I would redo the screen layout. It feels like something from ten years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Alan Murphy
    Welcome home again. Don't know much about the bikes but they seem to get good reviews other than that stupid quick shifter.
    Joe.

8. Alan Murphy

Alan Murphy New Member

Sep 30, 2021
    Swansea
    Thanks guys, my feeling is after all the electrical gizmos on my last 3 Ducati’s is that I’ll probably end up going for the 2016 1050R, seems like a return to a simpler world that will more than do all I need.
    Contrary to what everyone says, I never had a moments trouble from the the Ducs but all those complex electrics in a bike just make me worry!

• Agree Agree x 1