Thruxton Researching Wheel Fitments

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Bear, Nov 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bear

Bear Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Indiana
    So Ive been digging in to see what other manufactures wheels could fit on a Thruxton R. It all started when I saw the KTM RC8 wheels and what I could get a set for used. Magnesuim wheels for $600.00 seemed too good to be true. While the front is the correct size the rear is 17X6 so thats a no go. I am not interested in changing anything about the bike mechanically so the idea is to find a direct replacement with the same look. Or find a set that looks very similar to the street twin set.

Initially the street twin set is what comes to mind for me but moving to an 18" front wheel isn't what I want.

So here are some options that are either 17X5 or 17X5.5 rear and the 17X3.5 front

2014 899 Panigale (Uses a different front rotor part number so not looking good)
    2016 Yamaha FZ07
    2009 Buell XB12
    2013 Ninja ZX6R

The goal is to have a black mag wheel set and have to change very little from the original factory parts outside of different bearings or spacers which I would have to move over in either case.

Does the ID of the wheels center hole make an enormous difference given the bearings could be change to correct this?
    What size spacer kit do we currently have on the thruxton?

If I knew the aftermarket bearing and spacer kit part numbers I could use them with the brake component part numbers to cross reference and narrow down the search but I can only seem to find the OE part numbers.

Anyone else started down this rabbit hole?

What Id like to find looks like this

s-l640.jpg

2. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Why not powder coat or anodise your rims hubs and spokes, would look right and unique at the same time

3. Bear

Bear Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Indiana
    Agreed it would look great coated and that is still an option. However I would prefer to move away from spokes to a mag wheel for maintenance and aesthetic preferences

4. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    The rear of a street twin should fit but you’re going to have to lose the Showa’s and fit standard forks for the front.....
    Unless you know a good engineer

5. Bear

Bear Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Indiana
    Sounds scary...nah thats another reason to take those wheels out of the option list. Plus the rear on an ST is only 4.5.

I only posted the ST wheels because that's the look I'm trying to find

ttr.png

6. Bear

Bear Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Indiana
    Cant seem to delete that pic...