Featured Rescued From Under A Tree

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Ron Ashurst, Oct 19, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst Non of your damned business
    Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    I finally got the daughters Honda out of the way and I got a couple better pictures of the Speed Triple.
    Gas tank first and go from there.

T3.jpg

T5.jpg

T4.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  2. capt

capt Senior Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Looks good !

Great starting point when the rescued machine his looking that good on the surface ! The tank filler port shows there maybe some work ahead !

Good luck and hope there are no serious problems ahead !!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Hi Ron,

How does the fact you "found it under a tree" work with the authorities?

i.e. how does the bike legally become your property?

In the UK. Finding a bike (& reporting the fact to the Police) would probably mean it would either be returned to the registered owner/keeper. Or if it had been stolen some time prior but not recovered. If the insurance company had payed out? It would then become their property.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    The found it under a tree was where i bought it at a salvage yard. I literally did not just Find it. It was lost in a storage locker auction and sold as salvage.

T oops 1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    This bike came apart so easily that it almost scary.

T7.jpg

T8.jpg

T9.jpg

T6.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  6. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Ah!... I get it now mate.
    It's late here & I've had a long day.
    That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it! :kissing:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    12:30 am right. And I see your job title which will have nothing to do with it. lol.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Hell no mate!
    Tomorrow is Saturday :cool:

Currently having a little love-in with my very good friends Mr Bushmills & Mr Kerrang Radio.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    I must say you guys are a hell of a lot more fun than the BMW forum

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Rocker

Rocker Noble Member
    Subscriber

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    #10 Rocker, Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    Don't dis the BMW mate we love them on here:joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    Not dis'ing Rocker. I have a K100

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

That's coz we have....

A life
    Friends
    A sense of humour
    People like us
    We won the war (with tiny amount of help "eventually!" :rolleyes:)

:cool: :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    Not dis'ing Rocker. I have a K100

Side Packs.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  14. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    All good.
    I have already cleaned the sink twice and the shit keeps coming out of the tank.

Tank.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  15. Adie P

Adie P Noble Member
    Subscriber

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hey Ron. I was going to suggest that you buy a lottery ticket as you are one lucky guy .... but I think that maybe you used up a lifetime's quota of good luck when you sealed the deal on that Speedy! That looks GREAT considering where it was and how it was found.

You'll be aware that the headers and silencer on it aren't stock and, as I mentioned before, the originals are not easy to obtain. No biggie if you see it as a keeper but keep your eyes open - with your luck you just might find a complete unused, genuine system in some ex-dealer's store room! :rolleyes:

An original, genuine Triumph seat cowl is pretty much unobtainium, especially with the original bumstop pad, so look after that. The cracked airbox is very common - a Trident of the same year (or earlier) is the same so might be easy to replace - you might even get NOS.

Everything else on there looks to be surprisingly clean and appears to be pretty much original. 12 and a half thousand miles - JEEZ, what a find! You are going to LURVE the noise it makes through that three into one ............

Good luck and keep the picture and story coming.

Regards,

Adie

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    Thanks Adie. I was able to track down the original purchaser and it was a 52 year old doctor. He is the one who had the exhaust changed. Told me it sounds like a Ferrari with that pipe. I know that i need to replace those fuel lines do to dry rot. Any idea on cleaning the low fuel sensor? I was thinking a little gasoline and toothbrush but i'm not sure. I am still getting gunk from the tank so I might put the sensor and fuel selector back in and fill it with hot soapy water and let it sit for a couple hours. Some of the stuff is not rust as it floats so must be residue.

When I get it running i'll follow your PM on the oil. And I was glad to see coolant in the reservoir. It is just very low and I could not see it initially. I got a battery and the tank liner kit. Thanks for the info on the air box. I'll start looking today.

Do i need to remove the entire air intake system to get to those carbs? That's what i'm thinking but havn't looked real close yet.

• Like Like x 1
  17. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3
    Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Welcome Ron... she's a beauty :cool:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Ron Ashurst

Subscriber

Oct 16, 2018
    the Pits of Hell
    2 Questions.

1. What size is the damned socket to get the plug out as non of min work. I have tried 16 & 17 mm. The 18 mm won't fit.

2. How the hell do I get to the middle plug?

T10.jpg

T11.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bikerman

Bikerman Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Looks like your going to have some fun over the next few months. It'll be great to follow your progress.
    Enjoy it.

20. Adie P

Adie P Noble Member
    Subscriber

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    You're welcome. I'd be inclined to leave the fuel sensor to soak in any proprietary carb cleaner for 24 hours - I think you can still buy it "loose" in bulk (as opposed to just in spray cans) over there so I'd check the usual autostores and try for that. Otherwise a soak in petrol or diesel (over here the diesel fuel has a strong detergent action) then carb cleaner and the stiff toothbrush. Hot soapy water is unlikely to do much to remove the hardened "lacquer" that is residual from modern fuels but I doubt it would do any harm.

The air cleaner on these is sold as a "sealed" item - they CAN be disassembled to put in a K&N (type) filter but success is not guaranteed with disassembly, re-assembly or the air cleaner type. If you can get a new one that's the way to go, otherwise a decent used item disassembled and re-assembled with an oiled type filter should work. The rubber carb "connectors" are a push fit into the airbox and the stubs are a push fit onto the carb intakes with a band clamp to secure them. It's a real ballache getting them back on - use petroleum jelly (vaseline) to lubricate the rubbers. Can't believe I just said that .....

The coolant would be best flushed and replaced - I'm not certain which it is in these but I would advise getting something that's closely compatible. Should be possible to get a specification cross check somewhere -if not let me know and I'll confirm.

It's all looking good and going well but don't rush it. That bike looks to have had a LONG layoff and slow, steady and careful progress now will be the best thing for it in the long run.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Adie

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1