Replacing Engine Bolts

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by csp66, Apr 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. csp66

csp66 New Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Am I safe to back-out / replace these rusted engine bolts one by one?

If so, does anyone know the size / specs for the bolts...I can't seem to locate them in the parts diagram(s).

https://imgur.com/a/4z7I2tA

Thank you in advance for any help!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. csp66

csp66 New Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That is exactly my concern - thanks for verifying that I'm on the right track with being cautious.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #3 Wire-Wheels, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    I have found hardware on bikes are, a lot of times quite special. Not only must you match the diameter, length and thread pitch. You also need to find the correct shoulder length [the unthreaded part] . I would pull them out, one at a time, and use a wire wheel on a bench grinder to buff off the rust. I use a brass wire wheel for this kind of thing. Just watch you fingers doing this. Quick way to lose some skin if you are not careful. ;) ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. csp66

csp66 New Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    After the input and some consideration, I do think I'm going to abandon the idea of taking them out - probably safest to just try to clean them up while still in place.

Thanks for the input!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. sean quinlan

sean quinlan Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2019
    cork ireland
    if you can sand the tops to clean them up then use a clear varnish on them clean i use the varnish from a paint touch up kit keeps them looking good

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    they look important like they hold crank bearings in ect what I would do is use hammerite paint on them with a small touch up brush colour to your tastes of course

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. csp66

csp66 New Member

Jun 5, 2019
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Worked on this a bit today; Scrubbed the rusted bolt heads down with white vinegar and let sit overnight then went at them with first a toothbrush, then a brass brush then a steel-wool Dremel wheel and then some Flitz polish with the Dremel. Took all of that just to get rid of about 50 - 60% of the orange / brown tint...this rust is etched in there deeply.

They do look better than they did; enough so that the eye is no longer drawn toward them. I may just put a coat of clear on it to inhibit the return of rust in the future and call it a day.

If I decide that I still can't live with it, I like the suggestions for the Hammerite or the caps (found black ones on eBay).

Thanks to all for the input!!

• Like Like x 2
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    csp66
    Glad you didn't go ahead with removing those as the are indeed crank case bolts and unless you are rebuilding the engine then leave them be. Not only are holding the two cranks together they hole the crank unions and are special torque items and must be replaced with the exact same as any other will shear. Yes clean then and you can get chrome covers for them. That's more associated with Harley people but I am sure if you go on ebay you will find bolt covers then use your clear coat and put the covers on and they will lock in place.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The two front bolts are just casing bolts ! The one's behind the cylinders maybe holding internal engine mounts and crank journals , but I think not ! I've had the front ones out , using one as earthing point , moved my battery (went for 18/22 ampere) it wouldn't fit in battery tray ! Battery now hangs off foot peg mounting support !

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The two front bolts are just casing bolts ! The one's behind the cylinders maybe holding internal engine mounts and crank journals , but I think not ! I've had the front ones out , using one as earthing point , moved my battery (went for 18/22 ampere) it wouldn't fit in battery tray ! Battery now hangs off foot peg mounting support !

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1