1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dorset Biker

Dorset Biker New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Bridport UK
    I've adjusted the chain on my T120 for the first time. Annoyingly, this involves removal of both exhaust "peashooter" pipes to access the chain adjuster nuts on both sides. Removal was pretty straightforward, as was the chain adjustment, however rejoining the pipes back on proved to be a mare. The section that they join up to consists of two parts; an inner pipe and the outer chrome sleeve that I imagine also serves as a heat shield. The peashooters have to slide over the inner pipe and under the outer chrome sleeve BUT they have to go in with a clamp that fits under the sleeve and then tightens up to seal the join with the inner pipe. The gap all this has to feed into i.e. between the sleeve and the inner pipe is barely large enough to accept the end of the peashooter plus clamp.The inside of the peashooter at the point of the join has a kind of gasket material, a bit like compressed wire wool. If you misalign the peashooter as you feed it in this causes the gasket material to expand making it impossible to refit so then I had to remove it recompress the gasket and try again. In the end, the only way I managed to fit the pipes was by fitting the clamp so that it overlapped the end of the peashooter by about 1cm tightening it to the point just before it compressed the pipe end then levering the sleeve slightly using a long flat ended screwdriver as I fed it in. Once the pipe was in position I then slackened the clamp, shimmied it into its position under the sleeve and only then could I tighten everything up and attend to the remaining fittings. It was an hour and a half's work of which fifteen minutes was the actual adjustment! I feel sure there is an easier way to get this done and thought I'd put this thread out there for any suggestions please?

2. JSGlen

JSGlen New Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Murphys, California
    Hello,
    I'm getting ready to adjust my chain also on my 2017 T120, and was aware of the need to remove at least the right hand silencer so I can re-torque the spindle nut. Now, you have made me nervous about removing either silencer. I have watched youtube videos and nobody has mentioned this problem. I hope someone can chime-in and provide more info! Thanks for pointing this out!

3. Dorset Biker

Dorset Biker New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Bridport UK

4. Dorset Biker

Dorset Biker New Member

Sep 27, 2017
    Bridport UK
    Please don't be put off by what I wrote. Chain adjustment has to be done and on most other bikes is straightforward. I agree that torquing properly afterwards is really important and for that reason alone, removal of the right hand exhaust is essential. Cranked spanners will work on the left side as there is only one spindle nut. I don't have any so I had to take both peashooters off. The method I eventually tried worked, the key was to smooth down the gasket material first (using the rounded shaft of a screwdriver) and then to ease the pipe on with the clamp sitting just proud of the neck so that it slid in under the heat shield. I found that levering the shield slightly as I slid the pipe on helped. It is of course possible that on my particular bike, the shield on the right side is slightly misaligned as I had less trouble to refit on the left. Please don't be put off. If you find a better way to do the job AND properly torque the spindle nut, please let me know.

5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    This should be possible without removing your exhaust. Mark the spindle nut with a punch or maybe permanent market. Two dots that you can re-align. Then slacken off a turn or two to permit chain adjustment.

You will need two spanners/wrenches with cranked heads to fiddle in the recess! 1x12mm and 1x13mm. The above link is UK but ebay USA should furnish something similar for a few bucks. Again, a marker pen or even pencil is your friend to keep track of things. Try a half turn each side and check your tension.

When happy with chain tension nip up the lock nuts and re-align the dots on the spindle nut and you will have the right torque re-applied.

• Like Like x 1
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
    Hi, may I have a newbie question: awaiting my first Bonnie to arrive in March I just bought 2 V&H exhausts for half price. That's the good thing. No problem to exchange them, but..
    The ugly thing is that I can't get the size/dimensions for the exhaust gaskets and a supplier for them; Athena seems not to have them listed. Gues one of you knows - thanks, Thomas

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The only gaskets are between the exhaust port and header on the engine. The tail pipes clamp up with silicone or exhaust paste.

Which year/model?

8. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
    Well, it will be a 2019 T120

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    And you are replacing the headers too?

10. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
    No, only the silencers:
    upload_2018-12-22_20-10-41.png upload_2018-12-22_20-10-41.jpeg

11. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Then no gasket required. There is an exhaust clamp to tighten. Seal the gap with exhaust paste.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. T-Bird

T-Bird Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Prichsenstadt Germany
    Thanks for your kind support :)

• Like Like x 1