Replacement Key For Rear Backrest/carrier?

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Damien, Oct 6, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Damien

Damien Recovering sportsbike addict
    Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
    The quick-release backrest/carrier on my 2010 T-bird seems to be locked in place with a key on the left-hand side. Unfortunately when I bought the bike I only got the ignition key so can I get a new key for the backrest/carrier lock from Triumph or will I need to break it open to remove it?

2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    No dont break it, you can actually remove whole lock, fiddly but very simple reach in to rear of rest and remove the nut holding the lock in place, I realise its very awkward and spanner has to be placed careful to obtain only small movement but once this is repeated a few times nut becomes moveable by fingers, !!! job done live without the lock or buy new lock from Triumph actually its just the barrel itself, the key is not available at all.

3. Damien

Damien Recovering sportsbike addict
    Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
    Cheers Tez. Only spotted that the barrel could be removed after I posted this. Will leave it as is for now as I don't need to remove the carrier, but good to know it can easily be removed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    A bit late to the party with this but on mine more or less any Triumph backrest key or even the key for the locking windscreens will happily work this lock.

• Like Like x 1