Replace Or Repair

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Iamtheonlyone, Oct 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iamtheonlyone

Iamtheonlyone Senior Member

Jul 23, 2019
    The North
    Hi all,

New to the forum so please be gentle :)

Street triple r had a side slide yesterday and I gouged a hole in the near side cover that has gone through to the alternator/generator.

It's snipped a wire in half (3 o'clock). Can it be repaired or is it safer to order a new one?

Thank you for helping

DSC_0062.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Ooh, welcome and bad news ...
    Well its obviously safer to buy a new one but you may find its not cheap !
    Why not try the repair - making sure its well insulated and see how you get on...
    Or get a professional repair to save $$$$

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Iamtheonlyone, and welcome in :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Iamtheonlyone

Jul 23, 2019
    The North
    Looks like £330 for the alternator. Add that to the other bits I'm looking at around £650 in parts.

Excess on my insurance is £250 but as I hit road debris, it's my fault so my insurance will do doubt go up.

My insurance is £450 pa. 1 year NCD.

Would you fix It yourself or claim?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Fix ;);)

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Iam and welcome to the forum :cool: good luck on your repair and speedy recovery of your ride

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Iamtheonlyone

Jul 23, 2019
    The North
    Can't get the cables out. I think I may have to take the tank and airfilter off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Iamtheonlyone
    Think I would do a repair job. If you are good with a soldering iron and just solder the copper wire together again. Would say silver solder but I don't think an iron would get hot enough to do the job. Then just cover with araldite or similar and it should do the trick. Pity you are so far away as I could have ask my boy if he had some bite to help but even the postage would cost an arm and leg. Do wish you luck though. And of course welcome to the family if I missed you earlier. Also try the 675 forum some nice chaps on there including my boy Paul or BigMac
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  10. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 2
  11. Iamtheonlyone

Jul 23, 2019
    The North
    Took the tank and filter off but the cables won't draw backwards through the eginer compartment.

Not sure other than your advice and soldering.. Thanks Sir.

• Like Like x 1
  12. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Suggested repair method ! Lift the ends of the wire clear of the other wire's/windings , clean back as far as you consider safe , use wire of similar size and a medium size soldering iron , wait until the iron is as hot as it's going to get , then do the soldering quickly , less heat transfer to affect coil windings/insulation. Then gently press fixed area back close to coil whilst coating in said Araldite , any grade will do ! You want insulation properties !

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iamtheonlyone

Jul 23, 2019
    The North

No sleep for the day. I've removed the plastic and they are nearly touching. Would a dab of solder work?

I would like to thank you all for your help.

DSC_0065.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Looks possible , solder alone may work , there is very little gap indeed. You need solder containing tin , the modern stuff doesn't , and in comparison is very poor !

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Damian Taylor

Damian Taylor Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Seriously, don't repair this, it'll leave you stranded for sure. The stator looks pretty ordinary anyway. Buy an after market one from electrex here https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/index.html
    I have one of these in my 955i Daytona, been about 6 years now and not a problem. If they don't have your model then try here in the US,
    https://www.electrosport.com/ i have one of these in my TL1000R. Both these stators are better quality than OEM and way cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Damian Taylor

Damian Taylor Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Forgot to mention, there is also Rick's Stators on Ebay, heaps of people are very satisfied with stators from that supplier too and his prices and quality are great.

• Like Like x 1
  17. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    How it looks doesn't reflect on how well it's going to work ! I've seen car alternators that have become stained by red iron ore dust in the North West of Australia , that are perfect electrically ! And spotlessly clean one's that have failed ! Try fixing , suck it and see , what's it going to cost ?? One gasket maybe ???

• Like Like x 1
  18. Damian Taylor

Damian Taylor Member

Oct 19, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    The thing is that there'll always be a question mark as to the reliability of the fix, i wouldn't want that every time i went for a long ride. The non- genuine stators really aren't that expensive and once done it can be forgotten.

19. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Get to know your bike ! There's always that question mark ! Been a Mechanic in the Australian Army ! When we went on exercises , the workshops tradies would have a bet/sweep on when and where the first breakdown would occur ! There always was one ! could be the best/newest truck or landrover or the oldest !?!?
    If your fix works for six months or forever , it's saved you money for that long,
    I fixed the radiator on my car with Pepper ! Worked fine for two years , until I sold it . and possibly much longer ?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Typical Nut Strangler! Your ‘extemporised repair’ is everyone else’s bodge! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1