Renntec Rack For A 2005 Speed 1050 But The Advert Says 2010

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Hogi, Jan 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hogi

Hogi Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Durham
    #1 Hogi, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Hi,

I've just had a chat with Renntec about their sports rack advertised for a 2010 model. https://renntec.com/triumph-speed-triple-1050-2010-carrier-in-black.html

I've got an '05 model 1050 and we couldn't get to the bottom of why the rack was specific to 2010 rather than those from 05 - 09? From the wording used in the advert, it highlights the difference in models between pre Oct 10 and the new, post Oct 10 updated model but says nothing about the prior years.

Mine is standard at the rear, no tail tidy or arrows, so I'm hoping it would fit but I wondered if anyone knows if Triumph made any changes between 05 - 09 which might have affected the fitting e.g. moved rear pegs etc?

Or has anyone with an 05 - 09 model fitted this sports rack - and what mods (if any) were needed?

Thanks in advance guys.

EDIT: I've since noted that Renntecs advert has changed to show it fits a 2005 -10 range. Problem is no longer a problem

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I know the Speed had significant changes in 2005 - 2011 - 2016, but wasn't aware of significant changes between.
    However according to Wiki there were some body changes in 2007/8 including the change to metal tank, don't know if the rear subframe changed also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Speed_Triple

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    05-07 have different bodywork and seat to the 08-10, however, after checking with the parts schematics at Bike Bandit.com it appears that the subframe is the same from 05-10.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Hogi

Hogi Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Durham
    Many thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated and it all sounds positive. I asked for similar from the speed triple fb page who suggested an alu-rack as an alternative. But then on checking further found this: http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-tri...h-rack-broke-my-sub-frame.html#/topics/121868

Ooops. The consensus was to share the weight over the pillion and rack (renntec or alu) as its the sub frame that isn't up to the job.

I guess I'm restricted to a bit of light touring on the triple (I have a z1000sx for longer trips) and will avoid using a top box. I've got a 50 litre Ortleib and can strap it over the pillion and rack, longitudinally, which should do the job.

Renntec offered me a sale or return on their '10 model, so I'm thinking that might be my best option. Although the alu-rack looks the neater job it only secures to the rear sub frame wheras the renntec fixes to the pillion pegs as well.

Hope this thread has been useful to members and thanks again for your help.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chewie

Chewie Member

Dec 16, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    I know another rider who used the SW Motech rack with a top box and broke his subframe on an 05 S3. In fact, he gave me the rack after this incident and I used it on my 05 for several years. I used it to carry a largish bag, but the load was shared between the rack and the pillion seat, and I had no problems.

6. Hogi

Hogi Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Durham
    Thanks for that Chewie, sounds like I'm on solid ground with that idea, even if the subframe isn't ha ha. I'm popping down to Wales in May for a few days and want to take the Speed, so I think a waterproof bag will be all I'll need. Thanks.