Removing Rear Wheel Bearings

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Joeross9, Sep 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joeross9

Joeross9 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Texas
    Hello. I’m trying to remove rear wheel bearings to replace them. Have a slide hammer bearing puller, but they won’t budge. Any suggestions? Would a heat gun applied to hub around bearing help? This is a 2009 T100.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Tap them out from the other side. It’s a 2lb lump hammer and heavy engineering screwdriver or long socket extension sort of job. Tap at 12, 6 then 3,9 til you have the outer shell out.
    Clean the hub, light smear of grease and tap the new one in using the largest socket you have but better still a hydraulic press at your local auto shop. Brutal out, delicate in!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Joeross9

Aug 31, 2018
    Texas
    Thanks!! Got them out. Mostly in one piece :)

4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    One more hint to make the install of the 'races' easier is to put the new ones in freezer for a while to get them to shrink as much as possible. I 'second' going to someone with a press and the right tools to insert the new races. It doesn't take much to slip and mess them up, and it shouldn't cost much.

5. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Of course, I was thinking of two part bearings and not what you probably have on your rear wheel. Still freezing the complete bearing should cause it to shrink a little.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joeross9

Aug 31, 2018
    Texas
    Thanks! Good idea.