Removing Mangled Seized Screws

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by andyb57, Apr 14, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    Any tips on how to remove seized Philips screws with mangled heads from throttle housing before I use an extractor bit? Have used loads of Plus Gas, not shifting at all but can't apply heat as I usually would because of risk of damaging grip and paint.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Are the screws recessed? If not and the heads are exposed try cutting a slot in the head with a fine hacksaw and use a conventional screwdriver. If not, an extractor may be your only option if the housing is plastic.

• Like Like x 2
  3. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    One side of the screws sits tight against a raised section of the housing so not much room to work in!

• Like Like x 1
  4. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Or you could drill the head off the screw to free the housing then extract the remaining threaded stud with pliers or mole grips. This will only work if you think there will be enough stud protruding to get hold of which depends on the thickness of the housing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I've had a fair amount of success using extractors like these

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Impact screwdriver may jar it loose

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Impact first. Then lost for lost drill screw's head and get new screws.
    The thread part missing wont be seized, usually only the head is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I would try gently tapping a torx bit into the chewed philips screw, the fittings are delicate and only hand tightened around 7nm, often these screw threads corrode so do need a little persuasion, but remember the housings are plastic and can easily crack.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    +1 for tapping a torx bit in also try a drill on reverse (anti clock wise) first, it won't drill the head off the fastener but on a low torque screw like those it sometimes grips enough to unwind it a few turns.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. andyb57

andyb57 Senior Member

Apr 15, 2017
    Devon
    I went for the nuclear option after trying a flat screwdriver - the extractor zipped them straight out. Will replace with Allen bolts.

• Like Like x 5
  11. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I am not a fan of Phillips / Pozidriv screws and always try to replace them with socket head fasteners where possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    What we term Philips screws are not always the case, all Japanese motorcycles, and some other manufacturers use Japanese Industry Standard (JIS) screws, what you need to undo them are JIS screwdrivers and not a Philips one, hence that's why you often see damaged heads on the fasteners. The right tools save an awful lot of heartache.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    Here in the US, very few mechanics use JIS screwdrivers and never have a problem. Those who aren't experienced or know when to use an impact driver are the ones that have problems even with a JIS screwdriver. Left handed drill bits often get the job done without an extractor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    The standard screwdriver issued in every bike toolkit I've ever owned has been Jis, Phillips screws and drivers are for carpentry and DIY

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi, well as an old school qualified mechanic in a previous life, I personally only use the right tools for the job (with some exceptions), however for any fastner I recommend and use the right quality tools. If indeed qualified mechanics stateside don't use JIS screwdrivers on Japanese machines then I would avoid letting them get their hands on your pride and joy, an impact driver is usually a last resort, that said most of us do tend to have them, usually to sort out issues not of our own making.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    #16 Rooster, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    Try one of these.

19B67239-2E06-42CD-BBE4-10440A74FCB5.jpeg

video of similar product

• Like Like x 1
  17. Damien

Damien Recovering sportsbike addict
    Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
    And impact driver bits are normally made to JIS spec anyway, not Philips.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Not quite true, my impact driver has a set of 25 bits, some are JIS, some Philips, some are flat blade and the rest are Torx, it depends what make you buy as there and many on the market, mine is a Snap On, but you can pick a budget one up for around £10, these tend to have lower quality bits though. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    I don't pay attention if a driver is JIS or not now that there are hybrids. If it fits good and doesn't slip is all that matters. Stubborn screws will cause a problem only if you let the driver slip out. I don't let my screwdrivers slip so they work fine even if they aren't some form of JIS. That's the only reason I never bought JIS specific drivers. I do have Japanese tool kit drivers if I ever did need one. What brand has the hardest tip? Snapon is the hardest I've found, what's available, guaranteed for life and free delivery so that's what I have.