Removing Heated Grips?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Essexboy, May 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    When I bought my Bonnie it came fitted with a set of Oxford heated grips which I don't want on there, does anyone know how to remove them preferably without damaging them? I want to change the bars and the grips and I hate the sight of the heated grips control box stuck on there!

2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Just cut them off mate:rolleyes: they're not worth anything second hand as heated grips are only about £40 new:eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep I agree just cut them off. However does beg the question on whether you will ride during the colder UK weather? For me I would not be without heated grips on any of my bikes, much better than cold fingers/hands. Just my view!
    Wessa

4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    One tip is to get the screw driver under the grip initially and then give it a good squirt of WD40 to lessen the glue.
    Wiggle, twist and squirt some more WD40 and they will come off, when they are celaned up you may well be able to sell them or reuse them

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

If you get them off without damaging them send them to me and I'll put them in the bin for you :p
    Honestly I wouldn't put them on my bike :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Shhhh! He doesn't like them :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    Cheers for the replies :) I was only going to get them off intact as I thought I might make a few quid selling them but I'll probably cut them off just to save time. There was a time that I used to ride all year round and flatly refused to even take a car test but I gave in around my mid 40's and since then I feel it would be churlish of me to waste the money spent by not using the car heater and windscreen wipers when they're needed so the bikes have become fair weather toys lol, on top of that I hate unnecessary clutter on a bike so the control box and wires have really been annoying me! I should be picking up my new wider bars today so they will be going on and the heated grips will be going in the bin!

• Like Like x 2
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

My bin:p?

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I can vouch for the thin screwdriver and WD40 - especially if you poke the thin red tube right under the grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    Heated grips successfully removed using screwdriver, hacksaw, hammer and chisel-someone had araldited them on!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Sounds like you had a right old job on there mate. I guess that they are not going on fleebay.......
    Wessa

12. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    Only if there's a market for heated grips jigsaws ;):D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1