Remembering

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Vulpes, Sep 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    With it being the 75th anniversary of the battle of the bulge, and us being in the area, we thought we'd visit Bastogne. These hills were soaked in blood in a prelude to our liberation in the low countries. Very humbling. Below are pictures of the Memorial for the 101st airborne.

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg

• Like Like x 18
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    There is nothing more somber than remembering what so many people suffered and sacrificed for their country only to be over shadowed by what so few managed do do to f**k it up

• Agree Agree x 15
  3. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    The humbling part here is that most of these brave souls perished not even for their own country, but for ours. We stand in awe.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Funnily enough most soldiers would tell you it is much less the flag and the cause than their mates. That is not to discount the importance of ideals and loyalty just that in tight corners small group dynamics kick in.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Was at the memorial in Bastogne four years ago and in Arnhem exactly 2 years ago for the anniversary of Operation Market Garden. Never seen so many Union and Pegasus flags flying. Wonderful display of gratitude by the Dutch despite the destruction of their town.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #8 Vulpes, Sep 22, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Thank you for your stark and pragmatic breakdown. Although I understand what you're saying, I don't think the sacrifices made are less to be honoured.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Absolutely not. I am merely saying that there is a kind of pyramid. Appropriate patriotism and a just cause fortify group determination. Removing any element weakens the others.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I understand. Thanks for clarifying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Vulpes
    Sombre pictures at this time of year when remembrance is back on our minds for all our brave Brothers who laid their lives for us to be free. Makes me sick to the stomach now to see drugs everywhere daily stabbings and leaders that are shown up by kinder garden children. And parties that worry nothing more than feathering their own nests at our expense both here and in Brussels. Sorry I am ranting. Thanks for reminding me that we owe the fallen our respects.
    Kind Regards.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  12. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I couldn't agree with you more, Joe. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Vulpes.
    Still my apologises for ranting on. I had a solidary day sitting in my garage pondering about he past. Mainly my Mum and my two boys departed and got down a little not depressed just down. That made me want to let of some steam and it should not have been while you were pointing out how much we owe the brave men and women who died so we might be free. Again Apologizes.
    Regards & Thanks.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    No need for that mate. Let off steam whenever you feel like it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Not so treasonous. Victory legitimised the revolt...... however, the bit most British don’t know is that the war was prosecuted here by the Whig government (they now call themselves Liberals!) and actively opposed by the Tories (Conservatives) who wanted to let you go and make allies of you.

Americans usually forget we were FAR more concerned about revolutionary France than revolting colonies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ron
    That something to be proud of mate. And you don't like Harley Screaming eagle was part of Harley and the same was the 101st in Kham.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Ron.
    Probably not. But we wouldn't have you any other way. I can just see you out there on a fat boy.
    Regards
    Joe.

18. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Thanks for sharing the pictures mate, really does humble you when you see just how many died in the name of freedom, we all need to count our blessings that they and their comrades did what they did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1