Remap for SC Project high oval cans?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by ScreaminWargasm, Mar 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    Hi All,

Firstly, I'd like to say hello to you all as this is my first post.

I am in the process of buying my first Triumph, a new 2017 Speed Triple R in Matte Graphite.
    While in the dealers we got onto the subject of changing the end cans for an after market exhaust. I specifically asked if I would be able to fit the SC Project oval cans without affecting the warranty and was told that it would most likely prevent any future warranty claim and could also cause damage to the engine. He stated that the reduced back pressure would make the engine run lean and could damage valves etc etc....
    I asked if it could just have the arrow map added (even though SC Project say it's not necessary) which would increase the fuelling but he said he wouldn't be willing to add the arrow map without the arrow exhaust.

I know this is a popular exhaust and wondering what experiences you may have had with the SC Project or any other after market silencer fitted??

I got the impression that he was just trying to sell me the arrow system, which I think is over priced and not as nice to look at!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Mick

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    If its any help i run a Leo Vince low can on my 16 R and if anything it feels smoother without the remap being done so have not bothered, you could always fit the standard exhaust for servicing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Welcome buddy :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ali G

Ali G Member

Feb 6, 2017
    Kirkcaldy
    Hi Mick, I'm new here too, everybody seems really friendly and helpful.

5. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    Thanks for the comments guys, I think I'll stick with the stock cans until I get the 500 mile service out of the way, then change them. Like you say, I can always swap them over at the service intervals :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    I've made an appointment with a different dealership for Monday so I'll see what they say about it. Like you say though, I think it's highly unlikely to cause any damage with just a slip on exhaust.

7. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I am running the SC low can you can see in my avatar picture. SC Projects says no remap needed. I am even running without the baffle and having checked the spark plugs I see no signs of running lean. Put them on with confidence mate.

8. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Welcome Mick,
    I'm sure the SC's would run fine without any issues, especially with the Arrow map loaded.......
    However, fit any non Triumph approved accessory while still under warranty and you're handing them a get-out on a plate should the worst happen, and there are variable opinions as to how good Triumph are at responding to warranty issues. Personally I've had a good experience, others not so. (browse the warranty thread)
    And yes the salesman is trying to sell you some Arrows (and is being a bit "jobsworth"), another dealer may be more amenable but you might still hit problems if you need to make a warranty claim, it's Triumph not the dealer that approves or rejects a claim. This is one of the down sides to buying new, to keep that warranty you have to jump through a few hoops, dealer servicing being one of them.

9. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Mick
    i've got SC high cans on my 13 triple since new and do not have a remap. bike runs fine. My thoughts were Arrows are a lot of extra bucks for no more bang than SC plus the SC look better IMHO. If i wanted more power would have bought a Tuono/1000r so purely looks and noise.

Good choice of cans!

• Like Like x 2
  10. DaveG

DaveG Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Ashford, Kent
    Hi Mick, just picked up my new Speed yesterday. Dealer fitted SC ovals to mine for me and said it will be fine on the standard map. They sound awesome by the way :) IMG_0245.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  11. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Great looking bike :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    Looks fantastic mate. Love those cans!

• Like Like x 1
  13. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    Just an update on this....

Just returned from a test ride at a different dealership. They were so much more helpful and offered me a great part ex deal and took some money off the new bikes price tag!

I've put down a deposit on a Matte Graphite with a quick shifter and seat cowl.

Picking it up in 10 days time and cannot wait.

The dealer also said that the SC Project pipes will cause no problems at all and actually said they are better than the Arrows when you factor in the price of both. He also advised to fit them straight away and has offered to upload the Arrow map for free on the bikes 500 mile service if I want them to but did say it doesn't have to have it.

Order already placed for the SC Project ovals as well as Evotech Tail tidy, radiator and oil cooler guards.

I will upload pics as soon as I have her!

Cheers for all the advice,

Mick

• Like Like x 5
  14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    #13 darkman, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Congrats on the new Speed Mick :) Here is my usual pix for new owners lol

sheep sleep.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. GAJA

GAJA Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    London
    I ordered a low conical SC two weeks ago, still no tracking info, although their website states 5-15 working days... can't wait to get it fitted...

• Like Like x 2
  16. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex

I'd have thought the 5-15 days was for it to be at your door rather than when it's dispatched as that seems a bit slow.
    Hopefully it'll arrive soon though. You having the Arrow map installed?

17. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    I've literally just had a message from FedEx stating that my parcel has been collected and due for delivery on the 10th March and I only ordered yesterday evening.
    I'm guessing yours must be out of stock.

Mick

• Like Like x 1
  18. GAJA

GAJA Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    London
    Hi Mick, that's what I thought to be taking rather a long time, I will give it until next Monday I think and if still nothing, start a PayPal claim.

I'm not sure that the remap is needed, I think it would be of benefit if it was a full system but not for a slip on, unless anybody else knows different ?

19. GAJA

GAJA Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    London
    Nice, The bike will sound much better with those bad boys on!!!

• Like Like x 2
  20. ScreaminWargasm

Feb 25, 2017
    Essex
    SC Project have told me it's not required however, I've read numerous posts saying it runs smoother with the Arrow slip on remap.

I'm going to put the new exhausts on straight away and my dealership have offered to do the remap for free, so I should be able to do a direct comparison.

• Like Like x 4
  21. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    A quality can will work just fine without a downloaded map :)

• Like Like x 3