Regulator / rectifier issue on 2005 Sprint ST 1050

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by dylb, Aug 31, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dylb

dylb New Member

Aug 31, 2015
    London
    Hi,

I bought my Triumph Sprint ST 1050 in Feb 2015 for £2400. It is a 2005 model with quite a few miles on the clock (80,000). I mentioned the high mileage when buying it but was shown the full service history and was reassured that it was a good bike with no issues.

A month later the battery died so I replaced it. There were some issues with the clutch (it had the wrong length clutch cable fitted). This was fixed under the 3 month warranty that the bike came with and I was told the bike had been serviced.

In August I broke down with a flat battery and had the regulator / rectifier replaced at a garage closer to where I live. The alternator was checked and found to be OK. After being back on the bike for a day and a half I broke down again. The alternator had 3 scorch marks so I had that replaced. I did 14 miles on the bike before breaking down again with a flat battery. The regulator / rectifier seemed to have overheated and melted black gunk. It is now back at the shop being looked at.

I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do and what is causing all these issues with the regulator / rectifier. I have spent around £900 so far. All replacement parts have been from Triumph. Love the bike when it's running no so keen on having to call the AA each time I ride. It's my daily commuter and I use it for longer trips visiting friends and family.

Should I keep spending or cut my losses? Has anyone ever had similar issues?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Bindie

Bindie New Member

Aug 18, 2015
    Fife
    try elecrtosport.com, go to diagnosis centre then fault finding guide, gives a flow chart for charging problems

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    www.electrexworld.co.uk :)

Probably too late, but genuine Triumph parts are priced by Dick Turpin to maximise urine extraction!! :eek::mad:

Used the above when my stator and reg/rec died (2002 Daytona 955i CE) and had them supplied and fitted by a Triumph dealer for much less than the price of the gen Triumph parts on their own! :cool: :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robin Sanderson

Robin Sanderson Active Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Peterborough
    There is a mod which can be made to most reg/recs to make sure they work properly. There are lots of articles about it including in a recent mcn. It revolves around making the earth go straight to the negative of the battery rather than an earth point which might fail. If the reg can't discharge the excess charge to neg/earth throughout the Rev range then it quickly cooks it.

• Useful Useful x 1