Recommended Mods Speed Triple Rs

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Dan G, Jul 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dan G

Dan G New Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Christchurch
    Hi Guys

I’ve just traded my Panigale v4s for a speed triple rs after many years of Ducati ownership I’m looking forward to this new ownership experience.

Are there any modifications you guys would recommend? Tail tidy and maybe any exhaust was what I was thinking, is there a decat pipe available?

Thanks in advance

Dan

• Like Like x 4
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Congrats on the new Speed Triple RS, @Dan G! Welcome to the wonderful world of Triumph. And welcome to a terrific forum and great online community. Please mosey on over to the new members forum, too, to introduce yourself to the gang.

I have a 2019 Speed Triple RS and did a few things to it though nothing major. I kept the stock Arrow cans and like them a lot. I did a fair number of little things (fork/frame sliders for example) but I'd say the things that I'd most recommend are a tail tidy (I went with Evotech), a wind screen (after much research I bought a PowerBronze in Dark Smoke), and mirrors (Motogadget M.View "Blade"). I also went with different foot and shifter pegs and front turn signals. Depending on your height, you might consider Triumph's Low seat for the Speed Triple. That worked great for me at 5'7".

Have fun with that new ride! :grinning: And please post some photos for us. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Welcome to the club. Why the change?

4. Dan G

Dan G New Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Christchurch
    well if I’m honest I went for a run on the v4 with some mates the other month and thought it was getting a bit silly, so I sold it and bought a Hypermotard which was suppose to have down 800 miles and turned into a nightmare which I handed back to the dealer. Whilst I couldn’t ride it I took a street triple rs out and was amazed by it so I Thought I’d try the speed and thought it should be the perfect valence between slowing down, having a laugh, comfortable and should be more of a pleasure to cross Europe on than a super bike

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I love my Speed Triple RS! Please keep us posted on what you think of yours as you ride it more.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I replaced an 848 Evo for my Speedy. 848 uncomfortable and didn't smooth out until 100mph. The Speedy has definitely slowed me down but it's a lot of fun too. Anything over 120 is quite difficult due to the wind pressure.
    The only mods I've done so far are drill out the euro4 plates in the silencers (how to do that is well documented on here) and put a Powerbronze screen on. Plans are to fit a Li-ion battery and some red coolant hoses. Maybe fit a steering damper as the steering in very light compared to the sports bikes I've had. I've not had it in the track yet but booked for Donington in August. It will be interesting to see how I get on with it there. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    gratuitous pic of speedie rs.....

IMG_3836.JPEG

• Like Like x 11
  8. Omoishiroi

Omoishiroi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Scottsdale, AZ, US
    Curious about the Coffman exhaust as they don't show a Speed triple option on the website? Looks great which is why I ask.
    Also is that the ventura Evo rack?
    Thanks in advance

9. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there,
    That is actually for a cbr300 that I saw on ebay. £80 but immaculate
    I had a small converter pipe made (and a 20 degree bend in) to clear the back wheel and viola, all in for £100.
    I do know that it's a smaller diameter pipe (and robs a bit of power) but for the noise it now makes, worth the slight loss imo.
    I also purchased a small "carbon" guard to cover up the link pipe (£6)
    The rack (and arms) is the sw-motech one that i use for the givi v56 topbox. It's just got the held bag on it in the pic but I put on the converter plate if I want the big box on.

10. Omoishiroi

Omoishiroi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Scottsdale, AZ, US
    Brilliant work!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    No decat pipe for the new Speeds, I've been debating on taking mine to a welder buddy of mine and having him trap door it. Would prefer not to, but no one is going to make headers for it and the three header pipes feed right into the cat so cutting and welding a new pipe will be more work than it's likely worth.

12. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Lookin good. Hey is that R & G tank grip that you have down by the pegs? I’m looking for something that I can put on the swing arm, as it’s starting to wear at the spot that my boots contact with it.

13. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi steve,
    It is an r&g item but its a boot guard that they make.
    https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/Triumph/Speed_Triple_RS/2020/EZBG802BL/
    Fit isn't 100% but it certainly does the job.
    Been on for 1.5 years so far with no issues. Definitely worth it.
    Especially when an abba stand falls out and scrapes the frame 20 mins after you get the bike home......

14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    So do you have it on the swing arm as well? If so, pics would be great.

15. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    • Like Like x 2
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
  17. Ducatitotriumph

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I think when I bought mine it wasn’t included. I definitely didn’t get one in the box I had.
    that was a year and a half ago though. Any issues with postage etc, let me know and I can get quotes etc if you want from this side of the pond.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yeah, maybe it wasn’t included then. I’m thinking of getting sheets of the tank grips to use on the tank of course, but also for the swing arm. Thanks again.

19. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

I have the R&G boot guards too. It is just the frame sections above the rear sets, not the swing arm. I have seen pieces for the swing arm too somewhere, but can’t remember off hand. Your idea to buy a sheet may be best option. On a side not, I placed an order with them directly for several things. It arrived via DHL really fast during the height of COVID lockdown. I think it was less than a week, and I’m in California

• Like Like x 2
  20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That might be a better way to order, thanks.