Tiger Explorer Recommendations For Short Clutch/brake Levers?

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Aaron Brown, Mar 25, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    I've got a 2020 Tiger 1200, Alpine. I'm looking to replace the stock brake and clutch levers with shorter ones so I can easier grip and use them with two fingers, rather than all four. Especially when off-road.

Can anyone give me some good suggestions for these? Most of the short replacements I find are for cable clutches, and mine's got a hydraulic clutch.

2. Justin C

Justin C New Member

Feb 16, 2021
    Florida
    Hi,
    When I bought my used Tiger 900, it was in a little accident prior to me and the front break lever was missing it's end. I was going to replace it, but then just grinded/sanded the jagged edges with a Dremel and transformed it to a short lever. I guess I say this because you could cut your levers off at the desired length for free. Here is a picture of my final product.

brake_lever.jpeg

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Aaron Brown

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    Ahhh! Yes, that's definitely an option I'll consider if I can't find good-quality candidates for direct replacement. Thanks for the idea :)

4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I have Chinese cheapies on my T509, less than 20 quid on ebay.
    Didn't want to spend loads of sovs on posh ones in case I didn't get on with them

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aaron Brown

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    Yeah, I see lots of possibilities on eBay, but none of them list the Tiger 1200 XRx as compatible, which makes me think they're cable clutch levers, and not hydraulic clutch levers. I may pull the trigger on one of the ones that says it's 1200 XR-compatible, and try my luck.

6. Aaron Brown

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    I ended up going with these rhombus levers from rzmparts on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/194012929512?var=494179329690

I specified my year, make and model in a note to the seller when ordering, and got the right set for the hydraulic clutch.

They're from China, they're cheap, but seem pretty well-made. They fit well, and do exactly what I wanted for riding offroad: keep my outside fingers *on the bars* while using the levers with two fingers.

Quite happy with 'em after a few runs on the trails...