Recommendations For Screen That Looks Good And Works

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by toffeeboy, Apr 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire
    After my first ride out of the year I really would like to find a screen that suits 2 purposes. Firstly one that works and stops the wind buffeting quite as much and makes riding less fatiguing. Second and probably more important it must look good on a T120.

Suggestions, good and bad experiences please share folks!

2. BykerBry

BykerBry Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire

I had the same requirement as a flyscreen did not offer much wind protection. I had a National Cycle Street EX on my Speedmaster and it was good so when I sold my Speedie I put it on the Bonneville and it works well. It’s also has QD fittings so it can be on and off in minutes. I added an MRA X- screen sport spoiler and that helps as well but not essential. When I am in a cafe racer mood I can put the flyscreen back on in minutes. Simples.See pic.

3019FEA0-23CF-4B82-9167-325BD38C0948.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. toffeeboy

toffeeboy Active Member

Jul 21, 2016
    cheshire

Hi

I was looking for something that doesn't look quite as chunky as that.

Thanks though for the reply

4. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire

It’s very difficult to decide on protection or style. The smaller the screen, the less wind protection.

This is a pic of my bike with the flyscreen and it offers very little wind or bug protection but looks good.

Good luck with your search.

055631C3-5C1F-488F-B339-F3FC9AF9B1EC.jpeg

5. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    My T100 has a Dart flyscreen which tbh, is more cosmetic than useful. Still, it’s better than the white plastic Triumph item, which is neither.

6. BykerBry

Aug 8, 2017
    Reading, Berkshire

I have a Puig Ranger screen on my Honda Magna and that may be a compromise solution. It reflects a fair bit of wind and I don’t get flies and bugs on my helmet so it works quite well.

3B3F6E39-F67C-4694-83FC-43F658BD8691.jpeg

7. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    Just for general info on this subject. I had fitted the Triumph long haul screen to my new T120 and it was horrendous. All the wind that would normally have hit my chest was pushed up onto my helmet with much discomfort.
    I took it back to the dealership next day and had to settle for the small flyscreen as that is all Triumph had to offer. This is ok and better than no screen at all but I did do a lot of hunting around and came to the conclusion that a Puig screen might be the best compromise, but cannot vouch for this as did not get round to buying.

8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

I had the Dart screen on my America, took a lot of wind blast off my chest. Worked a lot better than the size actually suggests

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pete Shelton

Pete Shelton New Member

Nov 12, 2017
    Australia
    God day from Oz. I had a Dart screen on my 01 T100 and I found it improved comfort on long rides, without any head buffetting arising or any wind noise problems. I transferred it to my T120 when I bought it and it was also ok.
    I was wanting a better look though, so a bought the Emgo fairing which I find is pretty good - see photo. I do regular 450-500km day rides and find I don’t get any upper body stiffness, which ain’t bad considering I’m 60. I like the way it looks too.

ACD79374-60A3-491C-8E09-B74D1469BE46.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  10. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    I've just fitted a Dart classic to my speedmaster 2018, after trying a puig screen taken off my vn900, and the dart is way better. It's a little taller but makes a huge difference and takes almost all wind off the body from 30 to 80 just hitting around the bottom of a full face helmet.

11. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    I've just fitted a Dart classic to my speedmaster 2018, after trying a puig screen taken off my vn900, and the dart is way better. It's a little taller but makes a huge difference and takes almost all wind off the body from 30 to 80 just hitting around the bottom of a full face helmet.

12. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    Dart classic Flyscreen looks and works good

15256870767173973765424406765414.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll get what you’re after although styling is of course personal choice. I had the Triumph long haul screen on my 865 Bonneville which created buffeting at anything over 40mph then put a Dart flyscreen on which was better and ‘OK’ up to 60 but neither were any good for long distance main road speeds of +60/70 mph. I’ve got a Street Scrambler with the Triumph touring screen on which is again OK up to 60 ish but not any higher speed for anything other than a short hop. The Triumph touring screen is only slightly larger than the fly screen and suits my height (5ft 11") but wouldn't be comfortable for anyone shorter as when I duck down a little bit the blast & wind noise hits my helmet ... I had a Madstad on my Tiger 800 which was excellent at all speeds +++mph.. but looks ugly even on the Tiger style bike.. they do one for a Bonneville which is probably the best for function but again (I think ) spoils the Bonneville/ classic styling... its whether function over styling takes the priority so good luck with the search.

SAM_0002.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bowman

Bowman New Member

May 10, 2018
    Hereford, AZ
    Recently purchased a 2012 Bonneville T-100 and need a windshield. I'm 5'8" and prefer being able to look over the top of the shield and have wind and bugs go over my head. Read a few reports and may look at Puig Ranger and Dart Classic. Am I on the right track in my search.

15. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    If wind fatigue is a factor you want to eliminate, you might try raising or lowering the bars , as this will affect wind/pressure on chest,shoulders and head, another thing that affects rider fatigue levels more than most riders expect is the bikes gearing ! Its very tiring if the bike is slow in top gear ! What I mean by this is - if bike is geared Too tall or lacks the torque to pull/accelerate for hills or overtaking it can tire the rider more than he / she realises ! So a screen may not be the cure all ! I have had naked bikes that were great and faired bikes that were terrible for this !
    So you n3d to work it out ! Try riding friends bike's which have differing combination of bars , fairings , screen or gearing and see what's best for you !
    My 2009 Bonneville America is much better , less tiring to ride since Dyno tuning to suit engine work (905cc & porting) before that I geared it down to get engine rpms up in to the working torque range (2 teeth more on rear sprocket).
    Good luck ! It took me 8 years ! New seat handle bar risers screen suspension changes engine re-bore porting and a screen ! Cost over 8 year's about $3,500 odd !!!

Cheers capt

Oh and it's a keeper now !

16. rob bignell

rob bignell New Member

May 8, 2018
    Isle of Wight
    Hi,
    I had an america LT with the quick release screen an this was excellent,
    Motorway speeds in a full face helmet with visor open was easily manageable..... i have changed it for the new speedmaster with screen and get a bit of bobbling...doing some touring early in june so will get a better idea of whether i need to improve it

17. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Suggest don't get one of these Triumph Long Haul screens... I had it on my 2014 Bonnie and caused buffeting and wind disruption to my head at anything over 40mph ... worse the faster you went... I'm 5 ft 11" if that any help !

022.JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    I recently fitted this colour coded genuine flyscreen purely for looks but it does actually keep the wind off a little,

6B7B2C0E-0DB6-4F63-9968-3C2CC3AF5291.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    Having read all the posts here I think its about time Triumph got their arse in gear in whichever department deals with screens/airflow. I have owned 2 Tiger 800's (2011/2016) and a 2013 America all of which gave either buffeting or horrendous wind noise from any screen available from Triumph. After lots of research and correspondence (and expense) I got the buffeting and noise level down to an acceptable compromise with a Givi Airflow on the Tigers (my mate is currently using it in his Tiger 800) and a screen sourced from Ebay which we altered to get to a user friendly state. Both screens were under £150.00 so Triumph's prices, especially for something that doesn't work are way over the top.
    If you consider this topic then combine it with the amount of posts on corrosion happening to very expensive almost new motorcycles Triumph's standards are appalling! especially with the attitude of some of the Triumph dealers. In my opinion Triumph are resting on their laurels, I just hope that someone at Triumph reads the complaints on the forum.
    No longer Triumph owner Pete.

20. Drummer

Drummer Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Leeds
    These last two comments have completely moved the thread away from the subject of screens. Please do not add any subject comments that are not relevant to the thread. There are no doubt other threads on the subject of corrosion.
    I am sure this diversion was done without realisation to the movement to another subject, let’s get back to screens.

• Disagree Disagree x 1