Tiger 1050 Rear Wheel

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Wessa, Jun 17, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi all. Are there any tiger 1050 sport owners that have had problems with the rear wheel securing nut coming loose?
    I first noticed some movement on my way home from Scotland last month. Took the bike into the dealers who had a look at it. No obvious problems but a little movement on the spindle, so they torqued it up again. All fine until yesterday when I returned from a 230 mile ride around north wales. Same problem? Took it into dealers today and they stripped it down and checked all the washer, hub and spindle, again no obvious problems. They have put some thread locker on. Hopefully this will fix the problem.
    Are there any owners out there that have had this problem?

2. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Never heard of this before. The nut is torqued to 146Nm which is pretty hefty and usually needs a breaker bar or rattle gun to release it. As long as the belleville washer is installed the right way round then I cannot fathom why this is happening. Thread lock should not be required.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Is the nut actually loose and easily undone or is the movement due to a worn bearing?

4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yes good point, like a hammering effect when in use. The slighest play could be enough.

Studlock, threadlock etc shouldn't be required on this fastener and I'd class that as a bodge or cover up of the real issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    To be fair to the dealer they did say there was no evidence that the bearing was at fault and that all the components including the hub look fine. They have said if it works loose again then they would look to replace the Belleville washer. Just going to monitor it for the next few hundred miles.
    Thanks for you comments :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'm assuming you've got the single sided swing arm version (earlier Tigers weren't)? If so then there should be a special wire clip that fits around the nut and in to a hole, when fitted correctly this makes it impossible for the nut to come lose, check the dealer has fitted this (some dealers add a cable tie to the clip as "belt and braces" to ensure it can't come off).
    The fact you say the dealer has used thread lock where it shouldn't be needed worries me as to their competence.
    The Belleville washer should be fitted with high side at bore towards the nut (there should also be a hard shim washer between the aluminium cone and Belleville)
    Wire retaining clip
    upload_2022-6-20_13-38-27.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I just find it hard to understand how that large nut could come loose when torqued correctly to 146Nm with the belleville washer the right way round and the retaining clip in place. I suspect the slight movement detected could be due to worn wheel bearings or a missing bearing spacer within the cush drive if this is possible (has it been apart?).

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    @Wessa you don't actually say whether you felt any play in the wheel? (which would raise the possibility of bearing issues). You only mention the nut coming lose, I assume on the wheel side (there's also similar nut "staked" on the chain side, also at high torque setting). As @TRIPLE X has said I fail to see how that nut can come undone fitted correctly at high torque AND with the retaining clip fitted. If the dealer has failed to fit that wire clip and have bodged it with thread lock I would be reporting them to Triumph HQ and make sure I went elsewhere in future.

9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    @Col_C and @TRIPLE X many of thanks for your comments.
    The bike is a 2019 and does have the single swing arm.
    To be fair to the dealer the technician and service manger spoke to me and explained how the configuration at the wheel was constructed. In particular about the retaining clip which prevents the nut from unwinding. They were as surprised that there was movement at the wheel given that the nut was torqued correctly at 146nm and there were no obvious issues showing.
    As previously mentioned I will monitor it and if it does work loose again I will definitely go for all new components.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Wessa, what mileage is on the clock?

11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England

12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England

13. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    So it's had the big 12000 mile service which includes greasing the rear wheel needle bearing. This entails removing the axle so it is possible that the bearing spacer inside the cush drive got lost but probably not as I assume it was dealer serviced? Is there currently any movement at the back wheel? With the wheel off the ground can you hold the tyre each side and rock the wheel. Spin the wheel and try various positions - is there any movement? Also try pulling the wheel towards you then back in line with the axle - is there any movement? One of my past Speed Triples once got an advisory at it's MOT as there was some slight movement in the bearing. It was just coming up to it's 12000 mile service so I was just about to grease the bearing. The tester suggested that all it needed was repacking with grease and that proved to be the case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yes the movement you highlight is what I noticed which is why I took the bike into the dealers. And yes it had its 1200 mile service before I went to Scotland. I will monitor the rear wheel after every ride for the next few weeks. If it happens again I will get them to strip it down and rebuild with new parts. Thanks again for your feedback :)

• Like Like x 4
  15. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    This is all very curious, and I am far from an expert, but to just try and nail down the specifics of the situation...

You said that the dealer spoke to you at length about the configuration of the components including the retaining clip.

So, when this nut is now loose, is the retaining clip still in place?

Let's assume that it is...

Therefore everything has been doing it's job and the nut has obviously not unwound - it physically can't because of the clip.

Could the issue therefore be that the wheel is put on the axle, but isn't fully seated some how... everything gets torqued up, but after some milage the wheel works it's way "further on" to the axle?

Does that make sense? So the wheel works loose "the other way"...not coming off the axle, but going more "on" it?

I'd also tipex a few marks on some of these components ..help "see" any movement. (Actually, I use pink nail varnish...don't judge me...)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Thanks for that @DanielB , some great thoughts.
    Here is an update on the wheel. Having done a few hundred miles the wheel has remained tight, so the latest action from the dealers has seemed to have worked. I have ordered a full set of washers etc to replace the current bits (waiting for them to be delivered). I’m off to Newcastle this weekend so will put another 400 miles on the bike so should get more of an idea if it is going to hold until the new bits arrive. I want the updates completed well ahead of my trip to Spain in September.

• Agree Agree x 1