Rear Wheel Axle

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by 77bonnie, Jul 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 77bonnie

77bonnie Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Gulf Shores, Alabama
    1977 Bonnie....Okay so I am getting old. A thought came over me the other day that may be, just may be I installed the rear axle backward, or will it only go one way through the rear hub? Right to left with the nut on the left, or left to right with the nut on the right, or does it really matter?..... FYI: For those with the front brake locking up. I did everything to fix the front brake from locking. Rebuilt master cylinder, cleaned calipers and metal lines, but did not change the rubber lines to the brake. Well that was the problem. The rubber line on the bottom was clogged. It would allow fluid to apply brakes but not return to the master cylinder. New lines and the brakes are like new. A less than $30.00 fix.....Front wheel hop: I purchased a wheel stand for balancing and balanced both wheels. Problem solved however, it appears the rear wheel not the front was causing most of the front end hop..... Now, riding up and down the beach like a dream. Any thought on the axle would be appreciated but please be nice......

2. 77bonnie

77bonnie Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Gulf Shores, Alabama
    Something I just discovered about mounting a tire on to and old rim. If the bead is popping out, it' not the tire but the rim. Old rims have a tendency to rust, and just a little rust will stop the tire from seating on the rim leaving a bulge in the tire at the rim. On my old bicycle I squirted a bit of WD40 on the inside of the lip and the tire seated perfectly. Not sure it will work on a motorcycle, but because of the lack of experience at two motorcycle shops and $550.00 later a second new tire and loads of BS finally got the hump out of my front tire. Soapy water also does the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Bolt goes in from the right, nut on left. This is incase any drag on the spindle/axle would keep the nut tight and if the bolt was in from the left and drag on it could in extreme cases undo the nut.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. 77bonnie

77bonnie Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Gulf Shores, Alabama
    TY: Makes sense. I found pics from the early 80s and the nut was on the left. The parts manuel has the axle sliding in from the left, but I don't ever recall being able to slide the axle on my Bonnie in from the left. I have seen various years and even the 77 with the axle going either way, but your scenario makes sense. Anyhow, thank you for your input. I'm going to leave it the way it is. Nut on left.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    #5 NightRider, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Old rusty rims, spokes and hubs are a well-known phenomenon with any kind of difficulty. Once you've started taking a wheel apart, the question immediately arises, what's the better, a proper anti-rust treatment or the complete replacement with stainless steel parts? The anti-rust treatment, if it is done professionally, is initially the cheaper way, at least one has thereafter for a while no more worries. The best and therefore final solution of such problems is the consistent exchange with stainless steel parts.

I recommend the Devon Rim Company, they have everything you need for reasonable prices and everything is "Made in England"! Don't let the rust have the slightest chance! :eyes:

6. 77bonnie

77bonnie Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Gulf Shores, Alabama

7. 77bonnie

77bonnie Member

Sep 25, 2015
    Gulf Shores, Alabama
    TY
    TY. Good to know.