Rear Tailight And Indicators Unit Speed Triple 2016

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Bomber, Aug 28, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bomber

Bomber Member

Aug 4, 2017
    London
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bomber

Bomber Member

Aug 4, 2017
    London
    Yes appreciate that it might not comply with con and regs for vehicles in the uk. Does anyone know if this is an issue, as I remember some older models, I think Honda that had a combined tailight and indicator unit.

4. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    If it doesn't comply with con & use regs it will attract unwanted attention, I also see there is no reflector in the unit so you would need to add separate reflectors too.

5. Bomber

Bomber Member

Aug 4, 2017
    London
    Rear reflector isnt an issue as will be below the reg plate, Con and use doesnt cover indicator spacing or combined within a stop light unit and MOT only concerns the correction operation. Unfortunately spacing is an issue under "The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, although the current stock indicators are only 200mm apart
    (B)A solo motor bicycle having an engine exceeding 50 cc and first used on or after 1st April 1986–
    (1)Front indicators: 300 mm
    (2)Rear indicators: 240 mm

6. jyaeger

jyaeger Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    I just fitted both the motodynamic light and evotech tail tidy. Both are really easy to install its taking everything apart thats a PITA. The number plate light is nice and bright but at least on my 2014 it gets covered by the plastic that goes over/around the taillight. The taillight while on is pretty bright even the smoked version probably lights up the number plate but I installed the evotech light as a better safe than sorry. The evotech light is just as bright as the one built into the integrated light.

7. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Motodynamic light probably going to attract unwanted attention from The Fuzz this side of the pond....
    Doesn't mean we don't want to see photo/video evidence though! :)

8. Bomber

Bomber Member

Aug 4, 2017
    London
    Could you send some pics, I'm thinking of making my own, as you mention the reg light in the evotech obscures the reg light in the motor dynamics unit. Would be good to see how the actual set up looks.

9. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    Over here in 'Merica we have the freedom to do cool stuff like this to our motorcycles haha. I only took one picture and no video but I can do more tomorrow when I have a day off.

In rereading my post I realize what I said is a bit jumbled and doesn't really make sense. So the motodynamic unit has a built in number plate light and is bright and awesome but the OEM plastic bit that houses the tail light has a tab under it that covers the light. The taillight is pretty bright though even with the smoke version of it to probably light up the number plate with no problems but I don't want a fine so I installed the evotech light which is pretty bright as well. Both products are well made and would recommend. I think installing the integrated taillight is the easiest thing I've ever installed. I'll post more pictures and a video of the signals later.

light + tail tidy.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. Bomber

Bomber Member

Aug 4, 2017
    London
    Thanks for the pic, look forward to the video, and as col C says it is likely to attract some attention from Traff Pol this side of the pond but it looks so cool

11. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Bomber

Bomber Member

Aug 4, 2017
    London
    Looks really neat, shame we are stuck with large pig ugly yellow plates over here.

13. jyaeger

Aug 28, 2017
    Seattle, US
    Sorry for the delay in pic/video. So the pic is where the light from the integrated taillight is attempting to shine through but is covered up by the plastic/tailtidy. And the video which isn't fantastic quality shows the flashers/brake light function.

IMG_20170915_090500.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bomber

Bomber Member

Aug 4, 2017
    London
    Thanks for the pic and video

15. Delfox

Delfox New Member

Aug 17, 2017
    manchester
    Regarding mot, one light one purpose even on cars if it comes into this country from America

16. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Not true (at least in the past). Standard ZX6 uses clear window in bottom of tail light, I'm sure there will be other examples.

17. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Got a tail light with built in indicators very similar to this on my MT01 MOT man hasn't said anything about it

• Like Like x 1
  18. Delfox

Delfox New Member

Aug 17, 2017
    manchester
    That would be used to illuminate the number plate and the rear light is that correct? But it can not be used to change colour when earlier american cars come into this country some have to have their lights changed as they can not be used if they change colour like the one for the speed triple mentioned,,,that is mot standard

19. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Agreed about indicators, brother-in-law had a '55 Chevy with indicators modified for regs. The Speed rear light in question would be illegal just on positioning anyway. Interestingly latest cars have all sorts of fancy variations on indicators now, one of which is the DLR lights changing to amber indicator when required.