Rear Suspension Travel

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Essexboy, Nov 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    Does anyone happen to know how much rear suspension travel there is on a 2012 Bonneville? I'm messing around with different mudguard and taillight combinations and obviously don't want the tyre connecting with anything over big bumps.

2. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    #2 Oldyam, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi EB, normally speaking irrespective of suspension travel, if you set the 'sag' correctly there should be no issue catching the mudguard ever. If it does, the spring pre-load needs increasing.

4. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Agreed get a tape measure and take some reference points i usually use the rear axle bolt centre to a marker on the seat bit of masking tape to mark if your on standard shocks from the triumph factory id say no real chance of ever bottoming out as theyre almost solid with no dampening :sob:

5. Essexboy

Essexboy Active Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Essex
    If the maximum travel is 100mm I think I should be alright, I'll double check tomorrow though so cheers all :)
    Rudeboy I haven't noticed a problem with the shocks being too hard or lacking damping but that's probably more a sign that I rode hardtails for a long time lol ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Fair shout to that m8 at my age I like some creature comforts first thing swapped out was those nasty rear shockers for some progressives now it dont feel like my spines been jolted on every flaw in the road :laughing:

• Like Like x 1