Rear Suspension Link

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dave Teece, Sep 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Teece

Dave Teece Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Planning to get the bottom link serviced before the weather makes working outside unbearable. Would an Abba stand be good enough for support while removing/refitting the link?

2. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    #2 t552, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    An ABBA stand would be an excellent tool to use.
    I assume it's a SSSA. Easy job with the right tools ( slide hammer to remove the top pin) or a bugger if you have not.
    If it has not been done before the bolt for the drop/drag link will not come out unless you remove the exhaust. Better to buy a new bolt and angle grind the head off the bolt and refit in the opposite direction.
    If you need a new bearing only buy full compliment, not caged needles. They only have half the load capacity of full compliment bearings.

3. Dave Teece

Dave Teece Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2016
    South Essex
    Morning. Sorry, my profile pic is of my sadly missed Speed Trip which may have given you that impression. Now on a TT600, but I had the idea because, with the rear wheel out of the way and the weight being more front biased, that would be the way to go.
    What do you mean by 'full compliment' regards the bearings? Substitute the needle roller type for ball?

4. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    Ok. A TT is much easier no problem.
    A full compliment bearing is where the rollers are next to each other rather than separated by a cage. So 2 times as many rollers in the bearing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1