Rear Suspension Cost/value?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by 45Brit2017, May 5, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 45Brit2017

45Brit2017 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    UK
    So, I’m edging towards a new Street Twin in the autumn, possibly a T100 OR a revamp of my existing 2013 T100.

One thing which is definitely common to all options, is better rear suspension. The Street Twin I test rode was fitted with Fox rear units, which were definitely much better than the stock units on the Speed Twin (I draw a veil over the stock 2013 units).

I have Ohlins on my flat track Sportster, the Big Red Bus, and they do a pretty good job of managing this big ol’ lump, but they aren’t cheap.

Hagons seem to fall into the lower to middle price range for a range of models. I’ve had experience of Hagons and they know their market, know their business.

So, what are people’s thoughts on the best setup for a Street Twin? Are the Fox shocks worth the outlay on a bike like that, or are Hagons the best all-round buy?

2. I think your assessment is pretty fair. You would have to think the fox ones are just a superior product for that price!
    I may be wrong but I thought they are roughly around £700.
    In the real world though, either would be a upgrade on the stock suspension.

I was going to buy a new T120 last year and at the time the dealer was offering a £500 contribution. The fox units was going to be the accessory I added!

In the end I bought nearly new, also going mid price I went for ‘2Win’ shocks, these are what Custom builder ‘Baak’ use on there builds.

3. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I have Nitrons on my T100, first class shock - for me at least. https://www.nitron.co.uk/products/motorcycles/ntr-r1-twin
    Ohlins cartridge inserts for the front https://www.ohlins.com/product/nix-30-street/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Agreed, I've lost count of the times I've rung Norman Hyde after getting excited about something or other only to be told 'No, sorry. Not available for that year'. I wanted some 'M' bars recently, no dice there either.

5. 45Brit2017

May 30, 2017
    UK
  6. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Mmm, not good is it. At least we're well catered for.

7. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    It was £980 thereabouts, Andreani may be a couple of hundred or so cheaper. These were my first choice - good balance of quality vs cost, unfortunately at the time they couldn't guarantee compatibility but I think that situation may have changed buy now. Having said that, I enjoy the Ohlins every time I ride it and I've since forgotten the cost.

8. 45Brit2017

May 30, 2017
    UK
    Mmmmm yeaaahhhhh.... I don’t think I’d spend £2k on suspension for a 5 year old T100, when I could get a noticeable improvement for £300 or so from Hagons. If I was heading towards £2k I’d want 18” alloy rims THEN the seat’s like an ironing board, and the bike still tingles a bit...

For a budget of £4k I could have a new Street Twin..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    There is a wee bit of doggerel by Rudyard Kipling I have frequently returned to:

I kept six serving men
    They taught me all I knew
    Their names were What and Why and When
    And How and Where and Who.

Relevance?

What do you want and Why do you want it? They are the core issues. When you want it and How much you choose to spend are second order questions while Where you look and Who you choose to buy from are Third order questions.

So is the driver novelty or performance and is it dissatisfaction or something else nagging at you? They, above all else, shape your budget.

I share your reservations. Each to their own but some people spend crazy money on suspension that only benefits them for 5% of their riding.

If you focus your thoughts you will work out your personal notion of optimal return on investment. The idea I often return to is ‘opportunity cost’ (Google it) - most people never consciously consider it but it nudges me towards ‘nearly new’ and ‘good enough’ rather than ‘magnumitis’ and ‘gotta have’......... Old people can be SO smug but we generally have a back catalogue of buyer remorse!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Before you start shelling out for new suspension, has your current suspension been set up correctly?
    I only ask because I know lots of guys who’ve thrown thousands at new shocks and fork cartridges or springs and still think it’s not perfect, when it’s often that they don’t know how to set it up properly.
    Forgive me if I’m tteaching your granny to suck eggs but just thought I’d ask.
    Bad Billy posted a good guide - https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/suspension-setup-a-simple-guide-to-help-you.18373/

• Agree Agree x 1