Tiger 800 Rear Suspension Adjustment

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by crispey, Aug 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Ok all you 800 riders
    I did the major clean of my bike the other day and thought I'd try and alter my suspension set up (800 has preload adjustment only ). Read that solo riding was 24 clicks from fully wound in. Went to wind the adjuster in and it wouldn't move, had a minor panic thinking it was seized, then realised that it was fully wound in!! Now I generally ride the bike with the panniers on at least and have found the handling fine, never adjusted it whether fully loaded or solo. What do you guys do? And what setting?
    And If anyone posts about pressing the soft mode button I'll give your address to Mr O! You know who you are!!

2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    #2 Tiglet, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Crispey on my XC I usually have the Pre load set at the manuals setting for solo riding as that's what riding I now do. I may add a few clicks if my top box is loaded.

To help my aching bones and failing eye sight when I do adjust the rear shock pre load I fitted one of the following bits of kit. Saves kneeling down and fiddling with a screw driver and it helps protect the adjuster from the elements.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Trium...182235?hash=item3f82f742db:g:b1QAAOSwHnFVxe1z

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Thanks @littleade , I was scared to open the vid at first, knowing you! I've read about this and put it into practice on Doris but the video makes it seem a lot simpler I'll have a play with that.
    Cheers @Tiglet useful bit of kit but at 30 quid I think my knees and a big screwdriver can still do the job!

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Never adjusted mine or checked to see how far it is adjusted already. I assume it's still on factory setting but I've never had any problem with two up or with luggage. May just leave it where it is!

5. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    :no_mouth:;) stum !!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I might get the big screwdriver out!

7. BritMickUSA

BritMickUSA Banned

Jan 12, 2018
    USA
    Are the movement variations on the video relevant to a Tiger???