Rear Hub Question

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Peter Sandall, May 26, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Sandall

Peter Sandall New Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Ireland
    I have just disassembled the whole rear to regrease the swingarm, drop link and rear hub needle bearings. Everything went fine, I followed the workshop manuals and torqued everything as required.

Bike is Speed Triple R 2016.

My question

Is it normal to have a small of side to side movement between the rear axle and the swingarm/eccentric hub. The bike is jacked up with rear wheel off the ground. If I stand side on and grab the rear wheel with both hands I can feel a small amount of movement when pushing and pulling. There is no play between the wheel, axle, or cush drive hub.

2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I just had a notification for very issue, (or at least similar issue) on my MOT

Needs a new bearing set in the hub
    I will do that over the summer

But to answer your question, no, it is not usual

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    If you removed the swingarm the play may be in the swingarm and nothing to do with the wheel, hub & bearings. There is an adjuster screwed into the right hand side of the frame to take up the slack before the spindle nut is tightened. Is it possible that the adjuster was not tightened during reassembly? There should be no movement anywhere.

4. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I also had a similar issue in the past. Not an MOT fail but got a warning as there was a slight rocking of the rear wheel at the bearing but in my case a re-grease was all that was needed as the play was very slight.

5. Peter Sandall

Peter Sandall New Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Ireland
    A bit of googling shows this to be a common issue. Play at 12/6 oclock but nothing at 3/9. It is not the swingarm adjuster I torqued this correctly to 6Nm and there is no play.

I've been looking at the exploded parts diagram and think I've found the problem. I put together as disassembled but there is a washer 40*46.5*1.6 to go between the cush drive and axle which was placed behind the belleville washer. There should be a flanged sleeve here but it is missing.

Can someone confirm orientation of the flanged sleeve? Looks like a tophat presume the flat side goes against cush drive bearing and narrow side fits into the concave side of belleville washer.

6. TRIPLE X

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    The stepped side faces inwards with the flat side against the belleville washer.

7. Peter Sandall

Peter Sandall New Member

Jun 7, 2021
    Ireland
    Solved

The washer was missing between hub and cush drive. Also the stepped washer was there it just stayed put in the hub when I removed it.

For anyone with similar symptoms about 0.5 to 1mm play at 12/6 oclock but no play at 3 and 9.