Rear Hub Bearing Coming Loose On Bonneville T100

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Robert Mayrand, Sep 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Mayrand

Robert Mayrand New Member

Aug 16, 2018
    Montreal, quebec, canada
    The right bearing from my rear wheel came out of it’s cavity by it’s own last night. This bearing is suppose to be held in place by a circlip, but the circlip was nowhere to be found. The oil seal that goes over the circlip and bearing was torn to piece. When the bearing came out of it’s cavities it was trapped in the hub and with the movement if the wheel relative to the axle, the bearing enlarge the cavity in the hub making the wheel now useless. The metal where the groove of the circlip sit is simply gone worn out by the bearing. The movement also transmitted to the aluminium spacer between the frame, the wheel sprocket and the axle, this spacer now show heavy wear and is unusable, the seal around it was also shredded.
    What amaze me is that this bike only has like 6 000 miles altough it’s a 2002. The bearring have never been change so this is not a case of someone forgetting to put the circlip back. I suspect that the circlip was simply not put in during factory assembly.
    Anybody has another theory? Or explanation! So now I need a replacement spole wheel!

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It sounds as though you are describing the hub/sprocket carrier not the wheel. It is a separate piece which transmits drive to the wheel.

3. Robert Mayrand

Aug 16, 2018
    Montreal, quebec, canada
    The spacer and seal of the sprocket hub have also been damage, but the main problem is the main hub of the wheel. The bearing affected is the one on the right side, that’s why it damaged the main hub, the loose bearing was moving around in the cavity between the wheel hub and the sprocket hub hence the damage! I can’t really explain why this has happen, other than the circlip has been forgotten at the factory!

I found a used wheel on ebay usa, hope it’s good and that a 2006 wheel will fit on a 2002!

4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    A mystery indeed. The wheels should be interchangeable.

5. Robert Mayrand

Aug 16, 2018
    Montreal, quebec, canada
    By reading some old forum post i finally found the problem. It seam there is a spacer that goes between the hub bearing an the rear cush drive, holding the hub bearing in place on this side, since there is no circlip. It seem that this part often fall when people are dismounting the wheel. The last stupid owner must have forget it when changing the tire to sell me the bike.

https://www.triumphrat.net/air-cool...ear-wheel-spacer-question.html#/topics/631642