Rear Footpeg Removal

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Danny mc, May 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Danny mc

Danny mc Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Liverpool
    Not removing pegs till after Spain but just wondering what have others done reference holes after removal,other bikes I've had either evotech or R&G have had blank plates to cover,obviously this doesn't look like an option on the speed? Have others just put the bolts back in or left them out,was thinking water might get into frame when washing etco_O

2. Danny mc

Apr 24, 2017
    Liverpool
    It is a mot failure I think :weary_face:

3. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Here's what I did - not overly elegant, but sort of blends in...

The original bolts won't seat, because the holes are not deep enough (when the pegs are removed) to accommodate their length.

For the offside, I stuck on PVC tape patches, just to keep the moisture out as a temporary measure...but they've been there for 5 months and you honestly can't see them.

The nearside shares one of the bolts for the exhaust hanger - and remember without the peg, you can't re-tighten the bolt. I used a couple of bushes and rubbers that were saved when removing a standard Daytona exhaust...and job done.

2017-05-19 19.06.25.jpg
    2017-05-19 19.07.10.jpg

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. Danny mc

Apr 24, 2017
    Liverpool
    Cheers mate yeah it's the moisture that I don't want getting in,the patches look ok to be honest :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Definitely cover them. Blank off plugs on mine.

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  7. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #7 MrTriple, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Danny mc

Apr 24, 2017
    Liverpool
  9. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I think all of those look too big Danny - it's an 8mm bolt and the smallest plug from that seller is a 10mm.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Danny mc

Apr 24, 2017
    Liverpool
    Cheers mate

11. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    You'll need a shorter bolt for the exhaust bracket anyway, so why not just get four of them?:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I'm guessing they apply to a much earlier model (or it's a mistake).

The bolts removed with the pillion pegs are threaded directly into the sub-frame - the holes are not drilled through and a nut isn't needed. You can't pass a bolt through the hole and fit a nut to the other end.

You really only need a shorter bolt or a blanking plug.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Can't you just fit a shorter length bolt of the same thread? I would dig some out of me bolt boxes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Just removed my rear pegs (as i have removed the underseat exhausts and put on a single side SC project unit) and dont have a rear seat cover however, I would expect that having the tail pack on the rear seat would make it obvious enough that I am not carrying passengers...
    Plus I have used one of the holes to secure the compressor for a 'Denali Split Soundbomb' horn
    I would need to put somehting in the top of the hole to stop water pooling above the bolt though as the hole goes straight through on the rear bolt for the pegs.
    On the other side I will be installing my Scottoiler resevouir

16. Base

Base Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Uk
    I just removed the pillion peg on mine and fitted a seat cowl. I just got 4 M8 12mm long stainless bolts. on the seat cowl shame the colour doesn't match the rest of the bike ............................ genuine Triumph I read some where else this is the norm?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #19 MrTriple, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Fitting shorter bolts has to be the ideal solution - I'm taking your lead and will order some too.

My seat cowl doesn't match either - and it seems that others are reporting the same thing. Sadly, it's the norm.

18. crashin

crashin Member

You have a supplier called demon tweaks (based in Wrexham I believe and I miss them dearly!) they can probably supply 8mm standard pitch, alloy, stainless or anodized bolts in pretty much any length or colour that floats your boat, make sure when you order that bolts have no shoulder (thread goes all the way to the head) Alloy are prob better as the sub frame is alloy as well and wont create oxidization. Prob also put a washer in Original bolts were for tensile strength as needed to safely carry weight of pillion hence they are stainless from the factory.