Thruxton Rear Brake Pad Retaining Pin's (removal)

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by tappers, Nov 8, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tappers

tappers Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    #1 tappers, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    i have 2 bike's, a kawasaki gtr 1400 & the thuxton 900,i seem to get on the thruxton more than the kawasaki,however i seem to come across more problem's trying to do a simple task on the thruxton,i have purchased new front & rear organic front & rear brake pad's,i've already had a problem removing the retaining pin on the front calliper,i ended up drilling the pin, then used an easy-out to remove it, i went to remove the retaining pin's on the rear calliper with a (new) correct size allen key & it seem's to be under sized, here i go again,i've looked online & this seem's to be a common problem, why didn't triumph use a bolt headed pin, would have made sense to me.a 2 minute job turn's into a nightmare.i have ordered & received the oem pin's from the dealers, just got to get & do it.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Someone else had a similar problem on here not so long ago! Hard luck hope you get it sorted

3. tappers

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    that was probably me.lol.

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Tappers, if I may offer you a thought on removing the brake pad pin?

Insert the allen key (albeit too small) into the pin and using a light to medium hammer, tap the end of the allen key at least 30 times. Just light tapping. Now try to unscrew the pin with either the allen key or a Torx bit of a size that need needs to be gently tapped home. If it doesn't release - 30 more.

This method will work and avoids any possible damage to the caliper threads. When you install the new one, don't forget to apply copper grease to the threads on the new pin.

5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Is the allen key a good make ?

and does it fit snug into the head of the new pin ?

If not you risk damaging the heads on installation, and having the same issue next time !

I would use aint-seize ( copperslip ) on the threads on assembly ( a small amount to lubricate/ coat the threads ) and tighten by hand

6. tappers

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    i will try a torque bit 1st,if that's not successful it will be the dreaded DRILL with an easy-out,i can't believe my luck, it should be a simple task in changing the pad's,not true in my case.

7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    • Aaaah! Sorry

8. tapwasher

tapwasher Member

Nov 30, 2015
    west sussex.UK
    i purchased this to remove the rounded off pins,i had the drill & easy out set handy incase I needed them,the 5mm one done the job,atlast something went to plan,i thought i'd share with you what I used. 20171112_132344[117].jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    These pins are a problem because they need constant maintenance and dont get it.Clean them twice a year and thin cover of copper slip, works for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Hmmm would one big hit with a impact hammer with a small Allen key bit be as effective?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Gary, the multiple taps methods works better because it is low impacts therefore less stressful on components. But it does work by gently braking the seal between the ally caliper and the steel pin.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Mechanic I worked with said" one sharp crack" to break the seal, both would achieve the same thing I think

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yes but you are putting '1 sharp crack" onto a steel pin in ally threads.

14. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Good point biglad. Used to put brass nuts on exhausts with steel pins as they would shear first.
    Pretty much like the alloy in the break calibers.

15. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    I made 5.1mm keys. problem went away. even new keys are 4.95mm

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Dissimilar metals are used to stop seizure and as you say Gary the softer metal component 'gives' without damaging the mating part.
    Still use anti-seize grease though.

17. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    The principle of the impact driver is to 'crack' the seal between nut and bolt coupled with a rotational movement.
    Air tool or mechanical driver always does the trick when used correctly providing you can get a decent purchase on the nut or bolt.
    Strongly agree with t552 on the fit of the Allen key.
    Biglads advice is also right with the 30 small taps which should eventually 'crack' the seal, I must admit though I prefer one focussed sharp crack with the impact driver.
    Great feeling when the bastard nut/ bolt yields to your hand skills.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. GaryM

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Of course :)