Rear Brake Lose Power After Brake Pads Change

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Misterpinty, Oct 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Misterpinty

Misterpinty New Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Belgium
    hi all

I was wondering if you could help me out.
    i have changed the rear brake pads of my Bonneville SE and since then I feel it does not brake as before.

I used the same pads as the ones I have replaced but now it is really soft and I need to press really hard to have a nice braking.

Do you have any idea why so?

Thanks
    Luca

2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Sounds to me you somehow got air in the brake line.

3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I would suggest making sure no grease got on the brake disc or pads.
    Give the disks and new pads a clean with brake cleaner, and maybe roughen the surface of the pads with sandpaper to get rid of any manufacturing glazing
    Also try bleeding the brakes should any air have got in the hoses/calipers

Good luck

• Like Like x 2
  4. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    If the pedal firms up after a few presses you have got some air in the system and it needs bleeding.

If that's not the case bear in mind new pads need a few miles to bed in before maximum efficiency.

If it's more than that you may have disturbed some crap around the pistons while changing the pads. Did you expose the pistons a little and clean them up during the pad change ? If not, sounds like you need to have another look at the caliper. Have a clean up inside with some brake cleaner and an old toothbrush.

There's bound to be a YouTube video on how to service a caliper if you need it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    It's normal as pads bed in. Give them a few Mike's with hard use but not overheating them and see if they come back. Having checked of course that you out did the change correctly

6. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    If you’ve only changed pads, you won’t have any air in the system.
    Recheck your pads are located correctly and not getting caught, as this sounds like the pads are not returning correctly so more pumps are required to get the pedal back