Really Strange Demonic Fault, Help And Advice Needed!!

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Shaun Lee, Apr 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    So.. this all started about a week ago, before the dreaded lock down.. filled up with fuel and a few minutes later the bike started to pop and fart a bit, then it just stopped, would turn over but not start, or even try to start. Thought I would be pushing it home.. then after about 30 minutes I just tried it again, it started first time with engine light on, managed to crawl home, where is stopped again and would not start again. Got the fault codes which were fuel related, Fuel Pump primary circuit malfunction/Fuel level sensor circuit low and high input. So I cleaned all the connections from the fuel pump relay and all connectors to the fuel tank, cleared the error codes. The bike started first time with no engine light on!! Ticked over for 5 minutes then stopped again and would not start, left it for 30 minutes and it started again...... still no engine light so no errors recorded, any ideas or should I ring a priest ;-) I considered if the garage had bad fuel but I don't
    understand how it would restart and run for 5 minutes, and no fault codes makes it really tough to know where to start...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Sounds like electronics failing when hot......
    Hopefully not ecu, crankshaft sensor may be?
    Can you hear the pump running ok?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Before you chase a phantom electrical fault I would verify you have not got water in the bottom of the tank. Refuelling coincidence or cause?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Thanks, ECU should not be getting hot? If it was as sensor I would expect an engine light and error code? I can hear the fuel pump kick in when I switch on the ignition, for about 10 seconds, then it switches off, cant hear it once started as my Blueflame exhaust sounds like Armageddon.. ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Considered that but would the error codes come on initially for water in the tank? Guess I could empty the tank and refill.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Will do, just taxed the bloody thing to.. might SORN it again two weeks later...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Also, does it make any difference which fuel line goes where on the tank connectors? I have a red and a white line, I have the red line going to the bottom connector currently?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    How old was the fuel that was in it from the off?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Hi, Not more than a month old, would bad fuel cause the error codes though? Don't understand how it will run for 5 minutes before stopping?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    Its a process of elimination,or illumination.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Do you know that there were no error codes before this recent problem? Unless cleared error codes remain, so could be from a previous problem, those codes could easily be registered by switching ignition on whilst tank is off and disconnected.
    When I said heat related electronics failure I meant internal discreet components self heating, not necessarily to do with engine heat.
    Other less likely (IMO) cause could be fuel filter blocking up whilst running, then partially clearing when flow has stopped for a while?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Only 4 main componens in the Management system Air + water temp, Crank then ECU I would look for poor connections somewhere first, starting at ECU use contact cleaner not brake cleaner, then check the sensors.
    Could be a discrete component in ECU getting hot then failing but that can happen to Crank sensot too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Surely he wouldn't have got out his street if they are wrong way round and pump would have continud to run until it built up pressure, which would be difficult without fuel?
    Still thinking electrical/electronic!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    The 955i's can go on wrong.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Don’t know about the error codes but could it be a blocked or partially blocked vent on the fuel tank.

Start with the simple things first.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Are we talking electrical or liquid connectors?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    The fuel rail is a one way system, she will run, but ruff and wrong.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SprinterII

SprinterII Noble Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Scotland
    What are the symptoms of a bad pickup coil?
    Engine stalling
    engine stalling when hot
    One of the first symptoms of a bad ignition pickup is an engine that stalls. An old or failing ignition pickup may cut out signal intermittently, which may cause the engine to stall. The engine may suddenly just shut off, almost as if the key had been turned off

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Again I would try with the filler cap open. Also make sure the air flow pipe to the filter box is clear and filter good.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Shaun Lee

Shaun Lee Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Manchester
    Update, cleaned out old fuel and tank, new fuel pump relay, new fuel pump and filter... same problem.. only this time the dash kept flashing on and off and the alarm started to cheep occasionally, until it stopped after 5 minutes, ECM? Is the Daytona ECM from the same year, 2002, compatible??