Re-registering a bike in France

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by unionfan, Nov 19, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. unionfan

unionfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Surrey
    Hello all. We're hoping to move to France over the next few months and I know that I need to re-register my Speedmaster once there. The process is supposed to be much simpler for a bike than a car but I can't find any information on the various steps. Does anyone have any experience of re-registering and is there anything we need to worry about (like having to change lights or some such)?
    Thanks in advance
    KB

2. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    • Like Like x 2
  3. unionfan

unionfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Surrey
    Thanks for the tip.
    UF

4. Spudda

Spudda Member

May 2, 2012
    Penn, Nr Wolverhampton
    I've just messaged a mate of mine with a link to this thread
    He moved over a couple of years a go (I think) and re registered a KTM RC8 and a CBR600rr
    I'm sure he'll be able to tell you all of the ins and outs

5. daytona650

daytona650 New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    That would be me :)

Yes,I'm moved out about 18 months ago and so far have re-registered 3 cars and two bikes!

The most important piece of paper for you to get is the EU Certificate of Conformity for your bike. It's unique to your bike and contains elements such as the VIN, power output, noise, emissions etc. Without it you will not get your bike re-registered.

It's not the stuff that comes with the bike when you buy one in the UK, that's the type approval and is for the model. Triumph UK will be able to help. The french accept them in English and prefer them in french. A lot of manufacturers charge for them so don't be suprised to pay between £50 and £100 pounds for a piece of paper stating the bloody obvious. France thrives on paper and administration, but once you conform to what they want it is very very efficient. I got the honda one for free, ford charged me nearly £200 for one of the cars :(. Ktm charged somewhere in between.

You will need to go to the 'prefecture' of the region you are going to live in. I live in region 86, so my local one is Poitiers for example. They are helpful, but it's likely you will need to get a form and fill it in while you are there. You will also need your logbook and possibly proof of purchase as well as bills from your french home to prove who you are and where you live in France. If in doubt,make your passport and birth certificate as well. More is good.

The other thing to check is power output of the bike. France has a limit of just over 100hp on bikes and bikes above that can have a problem being registered, depending on the prefecture tbh. The RC8 is way over but they didn't have a problem with it, technically you can bring full power bikes over and reregister, however buy a new one of the same model in France and it will be limited. I didn't fancy an RC8 with 100hp :(

It's likely then they will take your documents from you and process it there and then and issue you with a temporary registration (which is the same number as your permanant one) which they will charge you for depending on engine size and age. My RC8 cost just less than €200 . This then allows you to go to a plate place and get them made up which you must do immediately. They are usually in shopping malls near big supermarkets like Aucan. Great thing about french plates is they are tiny :)

Don't panic when you get there as most french insurance companies will cover you on UK plates for a month or two. Beyond that it is technically illegal.

You don't need an mot for a motorbike in France bizarrely. So no need to change lights etc atm. Neither is there any road tax so once changed to french plates you can claim any UK tax back :)

I have heard that you can get sent away to get different documents when you first go. This is not unusual in France so go in there will a french attitude, not an English one and keep plugging away, it is easy enough if you are prepared.

If you have any other questions, let me know and Bon chance!

• Like Like x 2
  6. unionfan

unionfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Surrey
    Thanks Spudda and daytona650 - very much appreciated.

Funnily enough I'll be moving to Charente myself in 2015 so maybe we'll see each other on the roads (or I might see you disappearing into the distance with all that RC8 horsepower). I was interested to see you'd been able to register the big bike too as everything I've read states that my 150bhp Yamaha FZ1n is not going to pass muster. I didn't see the point in restricting it so have put it up for sale... maybe I don't have to!

7. daytona650

daytona650 New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I nearly sold the RC8 before moving tbh, I'm glad I didn't but if you don't manage to register it then as long as you have a method of taking it back to the UK, it's worth a go!

Bear in mind that used bikes and cars are way more expensive in France than the UK. Unless buying new it's economically much better to buy a bike in the UK and go for reregistering IMO.

Where about in the Charente? Are you familiar with the area etc?

Glad to help. It took me ages to work it out and a few sleepless nights tbh, Al history now.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    What excellent and informative advice. Well done folks.:upyeah:

9. unionfan

unionfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Surrey
    Daytona 650 - thanks and I'll mull over the costs and take a view I think... around £400 for shipping back to UK (and then I need someone there to deliver it to and sell it) or maybe ride it back but the costs of all that are several hundred pounds so I might just go with the one bike for the time being and save up in France if I really feel the need for something more speedy :) What's the insurance like compared with the UK?

We'll be looking for a house in Charente, anywhere really in an area from Cognac to Civray to Angouleme and maybe down to the Dordogne border. Friends have a house in Montauban so we'll be staying a bit further south for a few months and house-hunting from there. Where abouts are you based now?

10. daytona650

daytona650 New Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm just south of Civray, about 15 mins in the middle of nowhere :)

Insurance is slightly more expensive I would say but I had full no claims etc in the UK and I'm new to france so you get some ncb but not all. I also get full euro breakdown cover and UK use for 90 days at a time for free!

When your over here drop me a line when your about and your welcome to a coffee and chew the fat about life in France if you want to. It's warmer here too so still biking weather. Clear skies and 17 deg today!

11. unionfan

unionfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Surrey
    I'll do just that, thanks for all your help this week :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spudda

Spudda Member

May 2, 2012
    Penn, Nr Wolverhampton
    Thanks for replying .... Ive never known you type so much :tongue:

Good info that mate, looking forward to the France rideout :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    If anyone needs help, I've been living in France for 13yrs and have registered many cars and bikes over here.

The procedure is straightforward but as said previously you do need the correct paperwork.

My general advice would be to get a Certificat de Conformité from the French importer of your vehicle eg Triumph France - it will make life easier at the Préfecture.

PM me for more details.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  14. unionfan

unionfan New Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Surrey
    Thanks for updates chaps - househunting going well and hoping to make an offer this week... then the fun really begins :) Daytona, we've fallen for a place in confolens so hoping to see you for that ride and cuppa in the not too distant future.