Re Fitting Front Wheel With 1968 Twin Leading Shoe Brake.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Grim Grim, Apr 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Grim Grim

Grim Grim New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cwmbran
    OK, so it's a bit more involved. I'm restoring a Rickman Metisse pre unit and I'm having replica front forks made. There is a problem as the standard replica fork right hand side slider does not have the location lug for the twin leading shoe front brake. The company involved (Greeves) are fully prepared to weld on a lug as they do for other fittings, but would want to adapt the brake plate to accept a simple rectangular lug. I shall be sending them the brake plate to ensure that everything lines up, but would prefer that they do not alter the brake plate. Could anybody describe how to refit the front wheel and locate the brake plate into the lug on the slider (pics would be a great help). I imagine it involves inserting the front wheel canted towards the left slider, twisting and fiddling the locator on the brake plate onto the lug on the slider. This photo shows the locator on the brake plate which Greeves want to open out to 15mm (the narrower part is 10mm) so that the brake plate will locate into a rectangular 15mm wide lug on the slider. They will also reinforce the sides of the locator on the brake plate.[​IMG]

2. Tibster

Tibster Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    UOTE="Grim Grim, post: 289487, member: 14032"]OK, so it's a bit more involved. I'm restoring a Rickman Metisse pre unit and I'm having replica front forks made. There is a problem as the standard replica fork right hand side slider does not have the location lug for the twin leading shoe front brake. The company involved (Greeves) are fully prepared to weld on a lug as they do for other fittings, but would want to adapt the brake plate to accept a simple rectangular lug. I shall be sending them the brake plate to ensure that everything lines up, but would prefer that they do not alter the brake plate. Could anybody describe how to refit the front wheel and locate the brake plate into the lug on the slider (pics would be a great help). I imagine it involves inserting the front wheel canted towards the left slider, twisting and fiddling the locator on the brake plate onto the lug on the slider. This photo shows the locator on the brake plate which Greeves want to open out to 15mm (the narrower part is 10mm) so that the brake plate will locate into a rectangular 15mm wide lug on the slider. They will also reinforce the sides of the locator on the brake plate.[​IMG][/QUOTE]
    Front wheel is just lifted into position locating lug as you go . If they are building replica forks why don't they replicate original lug and weld that on so it fits original brake plate ? was it a known weakness at 10mm ,I doubt it maybe others more qualified to comment will know . I wouldn't particularly want my brake plate welding unless essential which doesn't seem the case.
    Any pics of the bike everyone likes pictures ;)

3. Grim Grim

Grim Grim New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cwmbran
    Front wheel is just lifted into position locating lug as you go . If they are building replica forks why don't they replicate original lug and weld that on so it fits original brake plate ? was it a known weakness at 10mm ,I doubt it maybe others more qualified to comment will know . I wouldn't particularly want my brake plate welding unless essential which doesn't seem the case.
    Any pics of the bike everyone likes pictures ;)[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Tibster, you have reinforced my beliefs, I shall instruct Greeves to make lug to suit brake plate. Bike still in very early stages, i.e. collecting bits. photos will follow.

4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Don't forget that the Rickman forks are alloy and not steel as the original Triumph 69/70 backplate you have, this why they have recommended a thicker slider on the leg and modding the back plate :) alloy legs normally use a bolt on arm so i would be inclined to go with Rickman's ideas.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Grim Grim

Grim Grim New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cwmbran
    My brake is actually a 1968 and alloy. I've now obtained a Workshop Instruction Manual which is far more informative than the Haynes version, and shall pass on the info to Greeves. A photo or diagram of the fork slider with dimensions would still be much appreciated though.

6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Ah so you have the one year only bottom feed, nice find. Hope the pics might help.

20180304_142749.jpg

20180327_165025.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    You da man Darkman, very knowledgeable. TLS can be a very good brake if bedded in and set up properly. Rode my mates 64 Triton and was very surprised at how good the brake was. IMG_1345.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The Norton TLS is a fantastic brake, i remember how easy it was to lock one of them if you didn't load the front end lol, nice bike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Grim Grim

Grim Grim New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cwmbran
    Thanks for the pics, the '68 might be a rare find and look better than the later ones, but I hear that it was changed due to problems with the long brake cable. (You only find these things out after you buy).

10. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Nothing wrong with the initial design, originally they had a plastic clip that secures the cable to the mudguard so as long as you fit that you will be fine and it's a great brake :) The change came about more because of people incompetence to secure the cable as per factory design lol Pic shows clip holding cable to the mudguard.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. Grim Grim

Grim Grim New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cwmbran
    You've just cheered me up no end.

• Like Like x 2
  12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The numbers are 97-2270 n 82-8245 for the clip and retainer washer :) Revel in the fact you have a very rare set up :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Tibster

Tibster Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Witney
    Well I am glad the knowledgeable darkman showed up and sorted it out , I apologise I hadn't realised you had alloy sliders which makes more sense .

• Like Like x 1
  14. Grim Grim

Grim Grim New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cwmbran

15. Grim Grim

Grim Grim New Member

Apr 15, 2019
    Cwmbran
    I'm intrigued by those front forks, what are they? I've also been asked to quote a desired length for my new forks, their standard length is 27", how would this compare to the originals, and what are your thoughts on this?