Rattling From Inside Petrol Tank

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by brown mouse, Aug 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Whilst working on my 1200 Speedmaster today I noticed after bumping into the bike a knocking noise continuing for a few seconds. I narrowed this down to the left side of the petrol tank, the side the fuel pump is on. The tank is a quarter full and the noise continues after the bike stops wobbling so it's definitely something floating on, or been knocked about by, the petrol. I'm guessing it shouldn't be doing this?!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #2 brown mouse, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    So, my 20,000 mile service a few weeks ago should have replaced the fuel filter. On the checklist they marked it as N/A, on querying this, they looked at the parts diagram and acknowledged it did have one but the service kit they got didn't included the part. So they agreed to order the filter and get back to me about arranging to fit it. (I haven't heard anything yet).

I've just looked online, and the service kit they charged me for (part T3990166) does include the fuel filter. So I'll be ringing them tomorrow to chase this up. If there's anything loose they'll find it when changing filter.

Could just be I'm worrying unnecessarily, there's an awful lot of gubbins in the tank, from photos in Haynes manual, it's not obvious that it's particularly fixed in a rigid place. Perhaps it does slide around if you slosh a quarter of a tank of fuel around? (Not noticed this before though in 2 years of ownership)

Edit: From parts diagram it looks like there is a bracket to hold everything rigid, and looks awfully like older models featured in this YouTube vid so have ordered cheapo endoscope to try and take a peek tomorrow.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Not at the moment as the fuel cap is on the right, and the rattle on the left, and the tank sorta wraps around the frame, so with only a 1/4 of a tank of fuel, its sorta split in two halves. (Though obvious actually connect at the back)

It's not the first time I wished I could peek into dark places, so consider it a good investment. :) (Though perhaps I went a bit too cheap and nasty with my purchase, lets see tomorrow).

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Hmm. Well, it's 5V as it's USB. If it's in the fuel that's OK, because there's no oxygen in the fuel for it to combust with ;) It's the air and fuel vapour mix above the fuel that's flammable :eek:. Can't see any reason beyond weird catastrophic failure why a USB camera should create a spark between it's own electronics (bike isn't part of it's circuit), But getting it in the petrol is a distinct possibility and it's supposed waterproofness might not count much for that, Hmm, I'm now thinking twice about this, thanks for making me stop and think.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    As a rule visual aid's have to be cleared and specified for use in explosive area's that's in industry what joe public does is on their own heads.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    As the tank is only 1/4 full could the rattling noise you are hearing be the fuel gauge float??

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    Empty the tank take it off and shake the part out ,or just keep the tank full .i fill my tank at about the half way mark because i dont like hearing the pump priming being a common problem on bonniville t100

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    And not these cheap alternatives either Duck.

OIP.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Thought did occur to me, but I couldn't see a float on the parts diagram, so assumed it was some sort of pressure based level detection. However, double checking there's a 'Fuel Level Sensor' on a different parts diagram that looks awfully like it has a float (difficult to tell from the diagram). This is where my face might start to redden in embarrassment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    #10 brown mouse, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    So, I have just filled the tank in effort to float whatever is in there near the filler hole but after various jiggling can't spot anything. Also, it's not obvious the rattling is still there, I may now just be noticing fuel sloshing noises. It seems a possibility, that before I may have just been hearing a fuel level sensor float. (When I went to fill up, the fuel gauge showed I actually had only 1/8th of a tank, so float would have been very near bottom of tank when I heard the noises.)

As the bike runs OK and the dealer is due to have tank apart to replace the fuel filter they missed out on service, I think I'll try and stop worrying and let them find out if there's any problem.

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a perennial worrier! But in my defence I've had 8 genuine problems with bike in the 2 years I had it from new, 2 of which where other peoples human error during maintenance, and one probably mine.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    So, bike been in to dealers today to have the fuel filter change that wasn't done at service time. Technician didn't find anything in tank or anything else untoward. Reckoned the noise I was hearing might be electrical cables and plastic connectors that connect to the fuel level sensor. Apparently these just dangle a bit free in the tank. Must say, when I got to dealers, with a 1/4 tank of fuel, I couldn't hear anything rattling. What I heard at the weekend could just be the unusual circumstance of 1/8th of a tank of fuel with the bike upright on rear paddock stand, so what little fuel there was would have been down front of tank. One day, I may try and replicate that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    could have been your arse cheeks rattling still after doing the wrynose pass 2 up with luggage? :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gaz907

Gaz907 New Member

Mar 27, 2019
    Cheshire
    Hi, did you find out what this noise was ? I’ve bought a new speedmaster and noticed this noise myself, not a full tank of fuel and I can duplicate it if I rock the bike side to side on the stand. Exactly as you describe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    No, I didn't conclusively find out what was making the noise. It's now 15,000 miles later and still does it, so I guess it's nothing to worry about :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gaz907

Gaz907 New Member

Mar 27, 2019
    Cheshire
    Thanks mate, I’m not overly concerned, can’t hear it when the engines running. I did check for anything loose and found nothing. Thanks