Rare Daytona 750 (1993)

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by steve lovatt, Mar 13, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Looks a nice bike, but rare? Not so sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TyFighter

TyFighter New Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Fettercairn, Scotland
    I've got a '91 model Daytona 750.
    I think they are reasonably rare these days.
    I read somewhere there were only about 200 made.
    I havent seen another like mine for sale anywhere. Perhaps they all got rebuilt in to Cafe racer kits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I'm assuming that you're aware that you've resurrected a thread that's now more than 5 years old? Not that there's anything in particular wrong with that but you might not get quite the answers you may be expecting. :D

The rarity of the early Daytonas might be a matter more of conjecture than fact, but, let's face it, whatever historical build or production number is correct, there's not going to be many of them around anyway! As I recall, the 750 was always viewed as the "poor relation" of the, then, nascent range of Hinckley bikes, partly because the rolling chassis was, fundamentally, the same so a smaller capacity, lower powered engine was driving pretty much the same weight as a 900. Add to that the fact that the 750 was, basically, a short stroke version of the 900 and, therefore, a bit 'rev. happy' so it wasn't exactly greatly admired by the power hungry motorcycle press of the day!

In terms of the numbers made, there seems to be some differences of opinion, but that might be just sales bias!

And, like buses - you wait an age for one, then two come along at the same time ...........

http://www.audleyendclassics.co.uk/motorcyclesforsale

https://www.lind.co.uk/used/triumph/daytona-750/38523.htm

I've (hopefully) just bought one of these two after agonising over which made most financial and logical sense ..... if 'logical' can ever be applied to the purchase of a 1990's motorcycle. :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. TyFighter

TyFighter New Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Fettercairn, Scotland
    Ha ha ha, cheers Adie.
    I did notice the thread looked a bit dead but just cant for the life of me find anyone talking about the Daytona750, so thought i'd chirp in. Ive read various bits and pieces on the 750. As its my first bigger bike, I'm hoping it'll do me fine. She's not as powerful as some but with my reactions, thats not so bad. I'm just looking for more of a sporty cruise.

Super happy to hear how you get on with yours. I've read of folks putting crazy miles high on them if looked after.

I've had to change some bits and pieces after taking the bike out of storage but nothing major. Its nearly ready for an MOT.

Fingers crossed

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Pleasure, Ty. I wasn't trying to be a total knob (don't need to try according to some! :)) I just didn't want you to sit waiting for a dozen or so 750 owners to chime in and say "yeah, my Daytona 750 is Vin number blah-dee-blah", or get disappointed by a deafening and apathetic silence!

To be honest the Daytona 750 was stacked up against some pretty tough opposition in its day - the CBRs, GSXs and GPZs of the early '90's were, frankly, far more accomplished as dedicated sports bikes while the 750 Daytona was, in essence, a sleeved down 900 Trident with a fairly sexy sports fairing! OK, I exaggerate (a little) for comedic effect, but I do recall some press criticism of the dated and dowdy colour scheme - compare and contrast the GSXR 750, for example - the less than razor sharp handling delivered by the tubular spine frame, and a 750 motor pulling around the frame and cycle parts designed to be hauled around by a 900cc!

All that said, the 750 Daytona is, above all else, a T3 motor in a smaller package so it is almost certainly - like its heavyweight siblings - a very robust and dependable motor if looked after properly.

Regardless of how many were built, and estimates seem to vary between 200 and 300, I reckon it's safe to say that they will NOT ever become a common sight on our roads so hang on to your little beauty; love and cherish her and treat her with the care and respect an old lady deserves! I know I will when mine arrives!

Good luck with the MOT and .... ermmmmm ...... can we see some pictures, please? :p

Adie

• Like Like x 3
  7. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    They might benefit from the following two performance modifications !

Gear them down ! Put a bigger rear sprocket on , one tooth may be enough ! I've gone two bigger on my "98 sprint , it now accelerates as soon the throttle is opened ! Other modification , pull top's off the carburetors and drill out the vacuum bypass port , lifting the needles a few thousands of an inch (30-40 ?) Is usually enough to speed up throttle response , increasing torque and horse power a couple of units !!

Have fun whatever way you go !

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. TyFighter

TyFighter New Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Fettercairn, Scotland
    Capt, thats great intel!

Cant thank you enough mate, much appreciated. Simple enough even for my mechanic-incompetence. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. TyFighter

TyFighter New Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Fettercairn, Scotland
    Finally managed to snap a couple pics while the sun is out.
    Absolutely love the old girl.
    IMG_5060.jpg IMG_5065.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. TyFighter

TyFighter New Member

Mar 9, 2020
    Fettercairn, Scotland
    Passed MOT with no advisories! First one the bike has had since 2012 (been in storage).
    So glad all the work paid off.

bike.jpg

• Like Like x 5