Rant of the day

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Havit, Sep 10, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Thats bloody good for Evri

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    STOP PRESS!

Rumple made it! and within the time slot too.

If you can call being 4 days late within the time slot I suppose. :confused:

So once again all is well in Johne world. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #4623 Pegscraper, Aug 8, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    I ordered a small item from the PRC on the 2nd and it's just landed on our shores. The projected delivery date is 17th to 21st August so we shall see. It's low value (£8.60) so no VAT or ID. I'm expecting it to be delivered by either RM or PF as, AFAIK, they are the default mail handlers for items not sent via a private courier or shipping Co.

Edit.......just remembered I had an undelivered Ebay parcel (UK seller) a couple of months back. It was a private courier but can't honestly remember which one. It had a tracking number which just said "despatched" and in transit from day one and never progressed, nothing, just disappeared into the feckin' ether. The seller kept advising to contact the courier which turned out to be impossible by phone. Just checked the Ebay tracker and it's still showing in transit!!:joy: I did get a refund eventually but just remember that the contract to deliver anything is between the sender and the courier and is the sender's responsibility until it's delivered to you or your representative personally. Happy shopping.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

Said item turned up today (not the "missing" one) through the letterbox so well pleased with that!:)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Paid my £100 fine and got my first 3 points in 36 years :mad: 80 in a 70 on a straight dual carriageway with little to no traffic in a hire car : unamused: must be the safety aspect they want to enforce :rolleyes:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Modern fines have little to do with safety, no matter how much political coverage lower rates get. If they have enough money to install humps, fix the pot holes :mad:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    80 in a 70 makes you pretty unlucky. I thought there was a tad more leeway than that (i.e. 10% plus a bit more).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    "leeway" and "discretionary" are - usuallly - the domains of personal intervention by a Police Officer and it's an 'unwritten rule' of discretion for them to allow 10 per cent plus 2 mph. That allowance might be dependant on a number of factors that a human (yep, traffic cops ARE, contrary to popular belief, human) can take into account - traffic volumes; weather and road conditions; manner of driving; location ..... even the driver's attitude etc., et al.

A traffic camera can't give ANY discretion - though the device's parameters are usually set up to provide some 'allowance' for error .... predominantly and historically, speedometer accuracy - and much of the process is automated so getting a ticket through a momentary or average speed camera is usually a 'not for further discussion' event. There may be grounds for appeal if the driver could show a sound explanation and reason for the error but that, I'd suggest, would be an exceptional case and highly unusual.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Snap same here did my safety awareness course few weeks ago.
    My last SP30 was in the eighties,
    On this particular occasion i was in Bridlington so not an area known to me, I did the worst thing you can do and not what I'd now recommend to anyone(in hindsight).
    I was using my sat nav for direction and also for SPEED which was a huge mistake on our ever changing road speeds, sat nav said 40mph it was actually a 30mph road.
    So bang to rights, mad as hell because I honestly treasure my driving record.
    But speed awareness course was very informative and was kept very friendly among the group of approx 25 guys and gals in the same fix, what was surprising was we were all pretty much in the same age range 55 to 65yrs.
    Shit happens !!!!!

• Like Like x 5
  10. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I was nabbed for doing 34 in a 30 in East Yorkshire, they are keen as mustard there. It was my first speeding offence since 1989, so I guess I've done ok overall considering I go (ahem) rather swiftly at certain times. The speed awareness course was 3 hours of my life I'll never get back, but better than 3 points I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Wish I'd had the option of a speed awareness course :triumph:

12. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

391698311_286547664203334_7119942634450139671_n.jpg

• Funny Funny x 8
  13. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I'm actually suprised you weren't offered the chance considering so long since your last speeding offence, you can't be offered within a four year term of your last awareness course.
    But I was 10 mile over too doing 40 in a 30 zone, so being the same mph over and all that,
    But it's stated it's at there discretion and a course is not always offered.
    Can't unfortunately argue with police laws no matter how wrong they are. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Helmut Visor

Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    The actual offence was in May but due to the fact it was a hire car and further to that was booked through work it has taken this long to finally get to me and sorted so I suspect the lengthy delays meant that any offer for a speed awareness course had long since gone :(

15. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Thanks for that, yes times definitely been against you stopping your chance of being offered a SAC.

16. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    ACPO guidelines are 10% + 2mph, BUT they are only guidelines. I sent a freedom of information request to West Mercia and they said their static cameras and camera vans use these guidelines, but there's a copper on a marked bike who hides up in 30 limits around the Wyre Forest area that has a camera/speed gun and I know a nunber of people who've been done for 32 in a 30. Nasty man.

• Agree Agree x 5