Random Start Problem

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Pieter, Dec 21, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pieter

Pieter New Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Sydney Australia
    My 2016 Speed Triple will occasionally not start and was wondering if anyone else has the same problem.
    Turn the ignition key, all the gauge lights flash as usual, press the start button with clutch lever in... then nothing. Key off and try again... nothing. Take key out of ignition, back in and try again... success. I know straight away when it will be happen as there is not the usual audible whir when turning the key. Have ruled out stand down when in gear.
    My dealer workshop shrugged it off when nothing showed up on diagnostics.
    It hasn't let me down yet, except for the embarassment when it happened when I was first off a car ferry recently.

2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Do you have to take the key out to fix the problem or does just turning off and back on get it to start?
    If the key has to be removed then that suggests the immobilizer system is not always reading the chip in the key, may be give the other key a try?
    Otherwise it's likely to be faulty ignition switch contacts or associated wiring/connectors.
    I'd normally say it's under warranty so get the dealer to sort it, but intermittent problems are always sods to trace.

I would suggest you may be get them to clean and re-grease all relevant switches and connectors in the start circuit -
    side-stand switch, clutch switch, start switch and relays.
    Shrug of the shoulders is not really good enough, they should at least make some effort.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Like most modern vehicles the security transponder is encapsulated in the plastic body of the key. The transponder carries the coding for the inbuilt immobilization system. Could be that this coding is not being recognized, and the CCU will not prime the fuel pumps (the whir you mention) and allow the start sequence??
    Have you got a spare coded key you can try. Any dealer worth their salt should be able to verify this with a diagnostic laptop!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    If this is the new model 2016 SpeedTriple then there is a recall as part of the charging loom can rub and cause a short circuit resulting in stalling...and possibly starting problems

Look in the Speed Triple section of the forum and there are a couple of threads about it.
    Certainly ask your dealer if the recall is applicable to your bike and if it has been done

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/safety-recall-search

That looks like a stalling in service issue, possibly not an initial starting issue.... maybe?

6. Pieter

Pieter New Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks all for the advice! I'm booked in for the recall in the new year so will get them to take a closer look. Didn't think of trying the other key - will definitely give it a go.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Sounds like immobiliser problem to me. May have posted a key recognition fault code, if not it will be a bugger. Only way to eliminate would be to read live data from ecm as fault is present

8. GregR

GregR New Member

May 20, 2017
    Guernsey, Channel islands
    Just a thought on this, if you've fitted aftermarket brake & clutch levers it'd be worth checking the clutch lever is fitted correctly and that the switch under the lever is being operated as it should

9. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Didn't even know it had a switch??? Doh!
    Found this on another site

"Just jumper the ****in switch. it's only there for Nancy girls. Real men don't need no stinkin switches."

That's funny!

10. Simon61

Simon61 New Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Perth, WA
    Just had a similar problem with mine & turned out to be a poor earth. No problem since sorted

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sventhrusta

Sventhrusta Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Kidsgrovia Staffordshire
    Had the same problem with mine eventually Triumph admitted they are aware that sometimes the immobilizer and and ECU have a communication problem-this was after several months of taking it back and them saying there was no problem.It did it once and refused to start top of Saddleworth moor in March-bloody freezing and not the best place to be stranded.It did eventually "re-boot" after switching everything off and on again several times over about half an hour .In the end they replace the lock-set, keys immobilizer etc and it's been ok since.They guy they need to speak to at Triumph is called Pete apparently.