Thruxton Raising Bars On Faired Rs

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Cooky Boy, Mar 5, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    I’ve got a new Thruxton RS with the racer kit. It’s great but I’m not as flexible (physically or mentally) as I used to be.
    Does anyone know if the standard clip ons will fit with the Triumph cockpit fairing?

5EB90A43-A136-485A-BB1A-4B2D7E30A5E9.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Yes they fit, I had the fairing with the taller risers on mine. I think there is a clearance issue with the brake fluid reservoir on the non R/RS but that wont be a problem on yours.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Is there a significant difference in comfort or will changing the clip ons make a marginal difference for a whole load of effort?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I thought the difference was significant! I started with the high ones, then went to low when I put the fairing on. Didn't take long before I switched back to the high ones.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    I had the low bars from new. Really liked the look and feel but got numb hands on long journeys. I stuck it for just under 2 years and put the standard risers back on. I think there is a big difference.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Hi Andy,
    Did you change them yourself and if so,was it an easy job. I’m a limited mechanic and could easily see myself messing up the job if it’s more complex than changing a lightbulb .
    How long did the switch take?

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Has anyone got a set of higher clip ons for sale?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Its not difficult, a little fiddly when the handle bars are laying loose. You need to be careful not to scratch the top yolk or the top nut, you'll likely have to buy a socket too for the top nut. I wrapped a layer of insulating tape round the top nut to avoid marking it. An hour would do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    I’ve seen a u choob video of a chap who dropped the forks rather than removing the yoke. Did you have to remove the clocks and headlight as well as the half fairing?
    I’ve spoken with my local dealer and they have not heard of anyone switching to the higher bars and suggested 2 hours work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Headlight and fairing can stay in place, I think I left the clocks attached to the yolk and let the whole lot sit on the headlight with a cloth underneath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I knew I had a picture somewhere! 1 low and 1 high riser for comparison. You can see the clocks still attached to the yolk complete with tape to avoid scratches
    20190324_162135.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Thanks that’s really helpful Andy. I’m sure even a mechanical imbecile like me could manage that. Did you need a special tool to remove the top bolt?

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    You'll need a 38mm socket or spanner. Its easily marked as it's made of alloy so wrap a layer of tape round it first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Thanks again.
    I will order some risers and let you know how I get on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. andyc1

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    If you don't have a pair of circlip pliers it might be worth getting some! It will make life easier when it comes to sliding the handlebar out of the riser as there is a circlip on the end or the bar. They have a habit of springing across the room if your not careful.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Risers ordered. Hopefully they will arrive before the weekend and i can set about fitting them.

Is the cabling long enough or does this need moving?

My back feels better already just thinking about the added height!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    Hi Tony, Is your Thruxton a faired bike. If so, have you any tips on changing to the higher bars?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Cooky Boy

Cooky Boy Active Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Devon, UK
    With the panniers and higher bars, I will almost have turned my cafe racer into a Goldwing rivalling tourer!

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Mine is not faired. I would normally do something like this myself but just asked the dealer to do it, can't remember the charge but it was nothing like 2 hours. Guess 2 hours is because of the fairing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1