Scrambler Rackless Luggage On 1200 Xc?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Jonas, Oct 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jonas

Jonas New Member

Oct 8, 2020
    Germany
    Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried some kind of rackless bags (something like MoskoMoto Reckless 80L or Enduristan Blizzard or similar) on a 1200 Scrambler? Main concern is frying them on the exhaust. I'm grateful for any experience.

Thanks,
    Jonas

2. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Hi, no I haven’t but do be very careful hanging luggage near an exhaust... a few years back I came across a biker standing by the side of the road helplessly watching his bike go up in flames from a fire started by his pannier bags too near his exhaust.. I’ve the Street Scrambler with the Triumph rugged pannier, a magnetic tank bag and another soft bag that straps on top of the small rack that replaces the rear seat... nothing overhangs anywhere near the exhaust pipes, and for a trip away they work ok for me. Good luck with the search

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Aylesbury
    Do you have a pic of your set up?

4. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I had a Triumph wax cotton pannier fitted first (as in photo) before swapping to the much bigger Triumph rugged pannier as in next pic ... for info the Madstad screen is taken off the bike 90% of the time as not a good buy
    3821BC1B-A9FC-4BC1-991B-078DB8BC5092.jpeg CAC9AF72-CCDB-467E-BD11-CE95F8162A9B.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  5. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Aylesbury
    Loving it

6. Jonas

Jonas New Member

Oct 8, 2020
    Germany
    Have never imagined that it could go to such extremes. Was just fearing some molten plastic. Thanks for the warning.
    Triumph's rugged pannier is quite ok (my spouse has it on her Street Scrambler. I'm not so comfortable about the weight and speed limit Triumph states on the bag. Second, I'm not so fancy about always having the frame on the bike.

Thanks,
    Jonas

• Like Like x 1
  7. Haro

Haro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Australia
    #7 Haro, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Kriega US system can mount onto the seat tabs and give you use of a number of configurations of different bag sizes. Some of their newer bags may also fit this way, but I don't have any experience with them. Been using Kriega bags for over 10 years and not a single problem on multiple bikes.
    And no frames needed.
    They can also be used as a tank bag with quick release mounts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jonas

Jonas New Member

Oct 8, 2020
    Germany
    Hi Haro,
    Kriega is nice, I'm using a 20 L US bag for day trips (rain wear, water, food). However, for longer trips currently I'm using a simple a simple duffel on the back. OK so far, but one or a pair of soft panniers would be great for longer vacation. As I'm not so much a fond of mounting frames permanently I stumbled across the above mentioned rackless systems. Seems there are good reasons that nobody has experience with them. Thanks.

Cheers, Jonas