Racing Back On This Summer .... Or Is It?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Bad Billy, May 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    #1 Bad Billy, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    https://www.ukclubsport.com/acu-reveals-plans-for-july-racing-return/

I got all excitable when I read this, then read the full ACU statement by clicking the link at the bottom of the article. :tired_face:

It has been my view for some time that any racing this season will be highly unlikely, my view hasn't really changed having read the full ACU document, I think Clubsport news where being a bit over optimistic with the headline .... still I suppose it sells copies better than the alternative? :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Seeing will be believing :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    @Bad Billy
    This was an email from the ACU I got today.

"The ACU Board of Directors met virtually yesterday (12th May 2020) to discuss the phased return to motorcycle sport following Monday’s publication of the UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy.

The ACU, in partnership with the ACMA, have decided that a phased return to sporting events will commence in parallel with the Government’s Step Three. This coincides with the reopening of remaining business, public places and leisure facilities which have been required to close. As of 12th May, Step Three is due to begin from 4th July but this is under constant review. We will assess the situation again when the Government implements Step Two, envisaged to be the 1st June.

In the coming weeks, the ACU and AMCA will publish guidance documents for organisers looking to run restricted events after this time. This will give organisers time to consider the implications of continued social distancing and prepare future events safely.

In order to reflect the differences in devolved administrations, no British Championship Enduro, Motocross, Trials or Speedway will take place until travel restrictions between England/ Scotland/ Wales/ Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man have been lifted and other factors considered, in line with Government guidance.

The ACU and AMCA would like to thank all our members for their patience during this difficult time, and we appreciate the steps taken by many individuals, clubs and organisations to support local communities during these unprecedented events.
    For further information, please see the ACU’s Coronavirus Operational Plan - https://www.acu.org.uk/Uploaded/1/Documents/2020 Event Paperwork/Coronavirus-Operational-Plan.pdf

We would remind all members that these plans are subject to change, and will be taken in line with the latest UK Government guidance."

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I got the same e-mail mate, don’t believe we will see any road circuit racing this year, the no camping & frequent references to ‘local’ meetings lead me to think they are talking about trials & MOTO X

• Like Like x 1
  5. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I'd be surprised as well, I've seen a few different plans about starting racing again, but until things are a lot more settled, I can't see it happening.
    MotoGP sounds like it will be a Spanish circuit championship if it does go ahead at all this year....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Not that close to what is going on in the racing world, but from what is currently happening in government and the press I think it is unlikely we will see any racing for the foreseeable future :worried:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    34CD0BE1-208D-4638-9976-3F842CE5BC79.jpeg 3CD57BF1-9DCE-4B90-ADAF-D342F190A87E.jpeg
    I think any major championships very unlikely.
    The ACU are struggling to come up with a workable plan for club level road racing, when you look at the measures, 1 competitor is allowed 1 other person at the meeting, no spectators allowed, reduced numbers of competitors, no clubhouse use except for take away meals, not sure what the plan would be for toilet & showers at circuits.
    On top of this they are saying no camping at circuits, for most competitors that simply means no racing as the distances we travel to compete would not be possible to return home between test and race day (we race Sat & Sun as well as Fri test day).
    On the plus side, this means I will very likely finish the year on the same tyres I started it on & there will be zero damage or wear & tear to the bike .... or ornament as it is now known! :dizzy:

• Like Like x 8
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I feel for ya mate :(
    Such a shame when you and others have put so much effort into preparing for the season :(

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    It’s unlikely the ‘Virus’ has had any impact on the Motorcycle racing at Aintree this year!
    Really feel for the organisers (And participants) of events there. :(
    Ken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Bike is looking great @Bad Billy as @dilligaf says peeps have put so much effort and money in to get ready for the season, only to see it all go to waste..

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I was so ready for this season, bike had been to AP Workshops & Griff went through it, the suspension was taken out serviced & re-sprung for my weight, the spanky new paint job done and then I had a really successful days testing & setting up at Brands, was really looking forward to the first race. :(

Last year I was nowhere near as well prepared, took most of the season sorting the Bandit to suit me, never really got it right if I am honest, the RSV feels much more me.:)

• Like Like x 4
  12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Well the bike is now prepped for whenever we do get going, the only downside is I ain't getting any younger, I will be 59 this July, things don't happen quite as easy as you get older, was walking like I had shat myself for 3 days after the trackday I did earlier this year, old bones mate! :scream::poop::p

• Funny Funny x 5
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    You have a similar issue mate with not being able to ride that beautiful new R3 :(, we all got our cross to bear, things could be worse, me & my missus had CV & although very poorly for a while managed to stay out of hospital, we are now pretty much over it! :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 2
  14. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    There’s been no racing at Aintree since 2018 as the ACU withdrew the 2019 Permit following a legal battle with a competitors legal team :(
    Dave Edwards the clubs race secretary applied for the 2019 Permit and sent the fees only for the ACU to withdraw it so I believe.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Just got the below e-mail from No Limits, it seems track days will be back soon!

Recommencing UK Trackdays May 2020
    Dear All

Once again I would like to thank you all for your patience, we have been working hard behind the scenes since 22 March, and we now believe that we are in a position to recommence UK Trackdays with the support of the circuit operators. We have today received confirmation that MSV circuits will be opening again from 26 May, we then anticipate that Mallory Park and Croft may well follow suit opening at the beginning on June.

Obviously there will be lots of significant changes and it will require all customers to follow strict social distancing measures, we will need everyone's help if we are to make this work and allow us to continue running once we have commenced.

Prior to each event I will be issuing specific venue information by email to everybody booked on that day, these must be adhered to without fail please, and will list all the measures that we have put in place from garage use to registration to briefing to noise testing etc.

I am sure that you will be as excited as I am that we can resume trackdays, I have listed below the dates that we have available to book for May and June, subject to availability. Potentially we may receive additional weekend dates in June but these are not confirmed yet, I will send an email as soon as I have any new dates.
    • Tuesday 26 May Cadwell Park Day and Eve
    • Tuesday 26 May Donington Day and Eve
    • Wednesday 27 May Cadwell Park
    • **NEW** Sunday 31 May Snetterton (Initial priority will be given to those with a 24th May booking)
    • Tuesday 2 June Donington
    • Wednesday 3 June Brands Hatch Indy Day and Eve
    • Friday 5 June Mallory Park
    • Monday 8 June Cadwell Park Day and Eve
    • Tuesday 9 June Cadwell Park
    • Tuesday 9 June Oulton Park
    • Wednesday 10 June Oulton Park
    • Thursday 11 June Brands Hatch GP
    • **NEW** Friday 12 June Cadwell Park
    • **NEW** Saturday 13 June Cadwell Park (Initial priority will be given to those with a 16th/17th May Cadwell Park booking)
    • **NEW** Sunday 14 June Cadwell Park (Initial priority will be given to those with a 16th/17th May Cadwell Park booking)
    • **NEW** Sunday 14 June Mallory Park
    • Monday 15 June Snetterton Day and Eve
    • Tuesday 16 June Snetterton
    • Thursday 18 June Croft
    • Friday 19 June Croft
    • Monday 22 June Cadwell Park Day and Eve
    • Tuesday 23 June Cadwell Park Open Pit Lane
    • Tuesday 23 June Donington
    • Friday 26 June Mallory Park
    • Saturday 27 June Lydden Hill
    • Monday 29 June Snetterton Day and Eve
    • Monday 29 June Brands Hatch Indy Day and Eve
    • Tuesday 30 June Snetterton Open Pit Lane
    We remain running with minimal staff cover at the present time, however we understand that many customers will want to book using credits. We are therefore remaining open tonight until 5pm and we will open additionally tomorrow SATURDAY 15 May from 9am-1pm. After this we will operate Monday to Friday 9am-4pm until further notice.

We look forward to seeing you all again as soon as it is safe for us to resume.

Mark Neate
    01525 877087

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Looks promising

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    It does Wessa!

Although a race meeting takes a bit more to organise than a track day, it is a positive move towards getting back racing mate! :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    When I got the Daytona last summer, plan was to trackday with it this year.

Will check out those date.

Cheers :)

DS

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I'll probably do another one at Brands as it's the nearest to me.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Donny on 23 June for me.

Not been on a track for a few years, and was slow even when I did them regularly :)

But getting the Daytona was always intended to herald a return for a few.

DS

• Like Like x 2